Job Interview, What Are My Weaknesses?

Sponsored Links
What WOULD be nice is if the OP came back on to tell us how he did.
So, in answer to the question "what's your biggest weakness", something about ungrateful and ill-mannered :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)
I'll give him until tomorrow night daneski (he may be out celebrating!), but it does get me when people ask for advice but don't reply to tell you the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's a bit strange that advice is being given by some posters on here who have demonstrated that they have singularly failed to secure a job successfully from their recent interviews :confused:

It's a bit like a couple of England players advising the Spanish team how to win the world cup :rolleyes: Where's their credibility?

Having been on interview panels in the past, I can honestly say that if we had been interviewing a perfect candidate for a job who was giving superb answers but rolled his eyes when we asked him such a potentially "no-win" question, then we would have turned him down immediately. So with respect, op choose your counsel wisely.

That's like saying 'I didn't read the first line of the previous posters post, but thought I'd put them down anyway"

It went along the lines of - I was asked this question, And I asked 'is there a right answer to that', as I rolled my eyes, shrugged my shoulders, and held my arms aloft in question, and the reply was the answer. Pay attention! :LOL:

Having been on interview panels in the past, I can honestly say that if we had been interviewing a perfect candidate for a job who was giving superb answers but rolled his eyes when we asked him such a potentially "no-win" question, then we would have turned him down immediately. So with respect, op choose your counsel wisely.
So give us some examples of good answers to this stupid question

That's like saying 'I didn't read the first line of the previous posters post, but thought I'd put them down anyway"

It went along the lines of - I was asked this question, And I asked 'is there a right answer to that', as I rolled my eyes, shrugged my shoulders, and held my arms aloft in question, and the reply was the answer. Pay attention! :LOL:
:oops: I've just re-read your original post and am happy to stand corrected. I take it you were paying attention around about the same time as they said "sorry, but you've not been successful" or words to that effect ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway, the answer they gave wouldn't have necessarily have impressed other panels. On the whole, questions such as this are designed to see how you answer (humour, straight, nervousness, ability to think on your feet, body language, flanelling etc) , and not the actual content of what is actually said.

On the whole, questions such as this are designed to see how you answer (humour, straight, nervousness, ability to think on your feet, body language, flanelling etc) , and not the actual content of what is actually said.
You got it in one Sir. Having worked in HR in a previous life I can categorically state that 'we' weren't looking for the 'right' answer.... there simply isn't one. EVERYONE has weaknesses, it's called being Human. What is important is that you recognise your weaknesses and work with them and try and correct them. The worrying candidates are the ones who reckon they have no weaknesses and slag off their last employer. They may very well have worked for a complete pr*ck but 'we' don't want to hear about that we want to hear about YOU and your skills and to find out if you recognise you have certain weaknesses.

Obviously anyone giving answers such as: 'Well I'm always late', 'I like a drink', 'I've got a bit of a temper' and 'I don't like being told what to do'.... are politely told 'Well I think we've heard all we need thank you Mr/Mrs/Miss......... (insert name here), we'll be in touch'!

On the whole, questions such as this are designed to see how you answer (humour, straight, nervousness, ability to think on your feet, body language, flanelling etc) , and not the actual content of what is actually said.
You got it in one Sir. Having worked in HR in a previous life I can categorically state that 'we' weren't looking for the 'right' answer.... there simply isn't one. EVERYONE has weaknesses, it's called being Human. What is important is that you recognise your weaknesses and work with them and try and correct them. The worrying candidates are the ones who reckon they have no weaknesses and slag off their last employer. They may very well have worked for a complete pr*ck but 'we' don't want to hear about that we want to hear about YOU and your skills and to find out if you recognise you have certain weaknesses.

Obviously anyone giving answers such as: 'Well I'm always late', 'I like a drink', 'I've got a bit of a temper' and 'I don't like being told what to do'.... are politely told 'Well I think we've heard all we need thank you Mr/Mrs/Miss......... (insert name here), we'll be in touch'!
What about mickeymoody's response? Although it's more honest than blagging a whole load of nonsense, I'm still pretty sure that his body language (in particular rolling his eyes) was the wisest thing to do. No offence Mickey.

I don't know Mickey and I wasn't there but based on that response..... Out the door!

You may be a very nice chap Mickey and you may have been joking but an interview is your 'Shop Window'. You have to show all your 'products' at their best otherwise punters will just walk away.

EDIT: We STILL haven't heard from the OP. Rude!

I don't know Mickey and I wasn't there but based on that response..... Out the door!

You may be a very nice chap Mickey and you may have been joking but an interview is your 'Shop Window'. You have to show all your 'products' at their best otherwise punters will just walk away.
maybe in the context of the interiew it was appropriate - it doesn't "read well" on here though

Don't get mad, get even :mad: :evil:

I appreciate that, the interview was going well, far better than when I had been interviewed by them before, but two guys leaning on you, a little exam, nerves, you know? You do what you do in that situation. I am shy, I am headstrong, everything went well for me in that interview, but the competition was too strong. One thing lacking at doleschool, is mock interviews. But I can only build on that experience.

Well, sorry I didn't get back sooner, but better late than never :)

After all the worrying, lack of sleep over this one question alone, they didn't even ask it, happy days :D

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give some answers though (sensible ones that is)

Fingers crossed I get the job now, I think I did pretty well in the interview, but I'm not getting one ounce of hopes up!

Sponsored Links
Back