Joining gas safe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am gas qualified, CCN1, CEN1, HTR1, WAT1, CKR1 and CPA1. I was working for a gas company but after moving down south had to leave the company.

Basically I want to register with Gas Safe on my own, but am not sure exactly how to do this. I have e-mailed them via their website and they said to complete the application form.

A few questions I'd like to ask if anyone can help? The probation period, does it mean they will check my work after I have done it? How will they know? I really am a service/breakdown engineer and also do gas safety's, I don't do installs really. How does this process work?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
You sound exactly like me eight months ago.

Make your application and pay your fee. You become a probationary member which means that when your paperwork arrives there is a form to fill in itemising every job that you do. At some point you will get a letter advising you that a Gas Safe inspector is coming and will want to see examples of your work, or possibly even see you work.

Like you my installer experience is limited and a bit rusty, I was a service and breakdown waller for 90% of my company work. I contacted Gas Safe to say I had not done any installations for him to look at, just a few services and breakdowns, could I delay it a month. Yes they said. It was rebooked but I still had little to show, but he came anyway and made his irritation obvious when I explained (yet again) that it was early days and I had not much to show him.

I offered to service my own appliances for him to observe, he said, not necessary, and we talked and he quizzed me in depth about what I had done in my previous job. We discussed safety issues. He was not really very 'user friendly' but he did mellow just a fraction eventually. On that basis he signed me off being probationary and advised I would most likely not see him for a year.

He also advised that work inspections these days are mostly unaccompanied, so you only get 'the call' after you have been hung drawn and quartered in your absence. This is a change from the Corgi days and apparently means they can get round more site inspections in a working day.

I also made sure I got Third Party Liability cover just in case he asked, and because its a good idea anyway. Google 'Simply Business' who do very good value cover.

Hope that helps

Alfredo

Don't panic, your first interview will start sternly but once, if you can, you demonstrate your competence the interview will lighten considerably. To quote my first CORGI inspector, "We only give the d***heads a hard time".

I know it is now Gassafe - the name has changed, my inspector has not.

Good luck and cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back