Just had roof fitted... Is there something missing?

From my experience, it WILL leak sooner or later, so save the aggro and get it rectified now!

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks, but my understanding is that it can not be fixed.. is that the case or how would you fix it? Cheers

The only way to fix it is to move the frames up or down, which means retrimming the rafters and altering felt batten and tiles.

Okay thanks for that mate, I trust that they could only be moved up...?

IMG_3090.JPG

Also would the position of the truss make this troublesome?

I spoke to the fitters today and they rather blasé said “That its the way that the tiles have worked in according to the drawings and that there is no way that water can leak in regardless if there was another tile on or not.”

Sponsored Links
Its a lack of knowledge by the guy who trimmed it out
really, and if that is the same guy who is the roofer
and fitted the skylights then he has no excuse.
Realistically its a bit late now to start altering things
as the flashings have been bastardized.

Thanks for the input catlad.

I used the same company for the full roof. They provided the truss (had it made). Sent in the joiners to fit the truss, skylights, plastic etc. Then a different set of guys fitted the tiles.

I've not paid anyone a penny for any of the work yet and am feeling disappointed that they have made a hash out of it. :(

As I mentioned previously I pulled my contact and he calmly said “That its the way that the tiles have worked in according to the drawings and that there is no way that water can leak in regardless if there was another tile on or not.”

I just want to be sure of what I'm saying before I speak to them again, as this isn't my bag.

I've shown an image of the fitting of the skylights to the manufacturer to see if they would honour there 10 year guarantee and (as expected) they wouldn't unless fitted correctly.

What would you say if you were to respond to this and wouldn't the contractor not just say that they have created per the drawings?

Thanks a lot,

Devs.

Unfortunately architects often think more of the location of the windows from the internal aspect than from the setting out of the roof tiles.

So there is potentially no recourse or chance of having this rectified?!

Thanks

The builder says 'that's how it's shown in the drawings', but I suspect it highly unlikely that your drawings will show that level of detail.

The designer is surely responsible for his/her own design not working.

Blup

Good point Tony, thats correct they do not show any particular measurements or details.

Am I right in thinking that the original joiner should have known to position the windows correctly so that the tiles lined up and any issues ran it past me...?

I want to try and nip this today.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The designer is surely responsible for his/her own design not working.

Blup
It depends on what the plans are for; eg just drawn for the planning application? Or just to obtain Building Regs approval? Or fully-detailed drawings?
Each of these would have different cost implications.

Don't these windows come with fitting instructions now?
I did one myself a few years ago on a DIY basis and just followed the instructions in the box, with no subsequent problem.
A joiner or roofer should be able to read instructions, even if they've never fitted one before.

Would building control be likely to pull them on this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back