Keston C25 - Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been googling Keston C25 problems all night and it seems I'm not alone.

My boiler hasn't worked since May well apart from a few days here and there when the engineer replaces a part! Fortunately, I have a contract with a large energy supply company so haven't had to fork out £££'s - well not so far. Unfortunately they don't seem particularly able to correctly diagnose the fault on my boiler and repair it. They seem fairly convinced that it's the ignition pcb that's failing given that they've replaced it three times in 4 months. Each time they've replaced it the boiler will run for a day or so then eventually it'll fail to ignite displaying the ignition lockout error code. The manual suggests a few reasons for this failure mode one of which is a faulty ignition PCB. Now I'm no expert but it seems to me that continually replacing this suggests that something else is causing the problem. To date I've only seen one engineer (out of 6) actually carry out some kind of fault diagnosis; all the others have looked at it intently before asking for the manual then concluding that it must be the ignition pcb (presumably because that's what the manual suggests) The last engineer that was here did run through all the flowcharts before deciding that it was the ignition PCB which he replaced on Friday and it's failed again tonight with the same error code. Is it possible that there is a fault elsewhere in the boiler that is causing the ignition pcb to fail? The reason I ask is that if some other part of the boiler was failing why does the boiler run for a short time (1-2 days) on a new ignition PCB before failing?

You might be asking yourself why has this been going on for 4 months (technically 5 actually since I first reported the fault in April) if it only works for 2 days each time they replace the fault - well I've had 12 visits and 6 aborted visits where engineers have failed turned up. It must be some kind of record!

Anyway the real point of the post. Part of the contract I have with the 'large energy supply company' is that if they can't fix the boiler they'll replace it. However, the reason a Keston C25 has been fitted is due to the layout of the house. The kitchen is at the front of the house with the boiler mounted on a partition wall adjoining the living room with the air/flue running across the ceiling void to the back of the house. It's my understanding that (as advised by the aforementioined energy supply company) this kind of installation is now illegal. Therefore, a replacement boiler will need to be cited elsewhere in the house and presumably on or near an outside wall. Is this the case? If so, I'm not entirely sure how they are going to fit a new boiler if it comes to this as there isn't an obvious location apart from an upstairs cupboard that backs onto an outside wall. If it isn't the case is there a (more reliable!!) replacement boiler that can be cited in the same location as the Keston? I'm guessing not given the rather small diameter of the air/flue pipes (looks like standard plastic plumbing type piping) but I'm no expert and know little about central heating systems. I live on a new estate (< 5 years old) where this boiler is fitted as standard in a few 100 houses and everyone I've spoken with (some 30 households) have similar stories to tell although I'm the first where a new boiler is being suggested - lucky me.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Sponsored Links
has the ignition electrode been replaced and the combustion checked ?

has the ignition electrode been replaced and the combustion checked ?

The only part that's been replaced is the ignition PCB (3 times in 4 months and I'm on my 4th in two years). I don't know if the combustion has been checked but the last engineer that was here ran through the diagnostic flowcharts and it's a step in that process (check burner pressure and combustion) I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed that out of 6 engineers only one of them has bothered to carry out any diagnostic checks and only two of them asked for the manual despite all of them saying that they are unfamiliar with the Keston C25 although all universally saying it's rubbish.

Whilst you are kind of OK you have to understand that the actual work is done by contractors who are squeezed down in price.

That means that they cannot pay the £30-£40k that a competent engineer would expect. They have to make do with pretty much anyone they can get with the gas qualifications.

Not surprisingly they do not have much in the way of diagnostic skills.

Having said that its difficult for me to imagine any particular fault which would damage the PCB.

However, any competent engineer would check the HT leads and the ignition electrodes.

You MAY be able to complain and get them to get the manufacturer's engineers out who might be a little bit better as they only work on that model of boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Whilst you are kind of OK you have to understand that the actual work is done by contractors who are squeezed down in price.

That means that they cannot pay the £30-£40k that a competent engineer would expect. They have to make do with pretty much anyone they can get with the gas qualifications.

Not surprisingly they do not have much in the way of diagnostic skills.

Having said that its difficult for me to imagine any particular fault which would damage the PCB.

However, any competent engineer would check the HT leads and the ignition electrodes.

You MAY be able to complain and get them to get the manufacturer's engineers out who might be a little bit better as they only work on that model of boiler.

Tony

It's E-On - do they use contractors and not their own staff then? I do get the impression they are 'fitters' rather than engineers.

WRT to the manufacturer's visit. Apparently they have a policy that if they get to three visits for the same fault they request a manufacturer visit. However, if they are to be believed Keston have stated that they won't visit boilers that are over 4 years old which seems rather odd - why would they care how old it is if they are still getting paid to look at it? I might call Keston myself. Anyway, they are sending yet another engineer this afternoon. I'll have met them all at this rate.

Keston only employ a very small number of engineers and as far as I am aware dont use independent service agents.

Their engineers are kept very busy keeping their boiler working through the warrantee period!

So its not surprising that they dont have time to visit older boilers which, as you have seen, can give rise to a lot of repairs!

Whatever you do make sure you pay the renewal fees on time in case they try to cut their losses on your boiler!

Tony

Keston only employ a very small number of engineers and as far as I am aware dont use independent service agents.

tony you are wrong in this instance :!:

I look after one of these and change the electrode and leed every 6 months. It's never been the pcb.

The grey earth leed to the electrode can need changing sometimes aswell.

The biggest fault in the boiler is the exhaust tube. Any competent engineer should spot the fault in that right away.

So ask your engineers to make sure it has the modified exhaust tube and to change the eletrode and both HT and earth leed. just to get you started.

To be honest if it isn't the ignition pcb which it very likely isn't, you need to get a different organisation to cover you.

Hi,
I've been googling Keston C25 problems all night and it seems I'm not alone. .
No you are not alone. Whilst this boiler made installation fairly easy they are an absolute PITA. I think most of those that I had fitted 4-5 years ago have had some problem at one point. Some even during installation! I'm amazed that Watchdog never got on the case.

Perhaps you can send some photos showing the route of the flue from boiler to terminal. You are right that you cannot run a flue in a sealed up void. They must have inspection access. Also, twin flues are frowned upon because if their is a leak it can go unnoticed unlike(most of the time) a concentric.

The best and most reliable boilers on the market are Atag and they do have twin flue options but you are best to use the small concentric flue which is 100mm diameter.

the pcb's are very unreliable on this model of boiler
but the most likely cause of this problem will be a restriction or blockage in the condensate trap

get e on to as a temp measure to remove the yellow lead from the top of the trap and then run the boiler and see how you get on

Guys,

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply it's really appreciated. Lots of knowledgeable input. :D

After a bit of rant at them on Sunday they sent engineer number 7 out on Monday afternoon. Despite never attending my house before this chap spent 10 minutes quizzing me about the installation, the problems, and what had been done so far. He then said look lets ignore everything you've been told so far and everything we've already done and start again from scratch. And on that he started talking me through all the standard simple tests and checks that I guess are part and parcel of being a competent central heating engineer. Pretty quickly he determined that what the previous 6 engineers decided was faulty couldn't be based on their checks as the combustion process wasn't getting far enough for the main pcb to be the likely culprit. As two of you have already suggested it is an intermittent fault with the ignition electrode and/or lead. As luck would have it he happened to have the very parts in his van from another job on the estate where it wasn't that part that had failed.

More worringly though was that it took him only two mins to diagnose and fix the original fault which was no hot water. I never mentioned this in my original post. Back in April the boiler stopped heating the water although the central heating was still running. I called E-on up and two engineers couldn't work out what was wrong and then a week later the boiler failed completely and it's been that way since. The original fault was simply that some safety overheat switch in the stat on the tank had popped open and needed reset. Two qualified experienced central heating engineers from a large company failed to diagnose this. It beggars belief really.

WRT to the modified exhaust tube - how can I tell if the one I have fitted is modified or not? Given E-on's lack of experience with this boiler I'm not convinced they'd know about this.

The estate is in Sandy, right by the A1 at the North end of the town (across road from the Sex shop for those that know the area LOL). So given you're in Herts you're not so far away and if you know this boiler then I'd seriously consider dropping some leaflets round :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back