Keston C25 - Issues

Cos is a B*****D KESTON OF COURSE!!!! :LOL:

Actually the stat in question is part of the Megaflo tank . :D

He did some continuity checks on the stat and wiring and everything worked as it should so who knows maybe an intermittently faulty stat or is it a case that they either work or not? It's still working tonight so 3 days which is a new record. However, I noticed that the plastic control facia is cracked in three places which has happened during one of the last three visits. It's all deeply unimpressive so I've written a stroppy letter to them. The French strike and blockade ports we British write letters.

Sponsored Links
Guys,

Two qualified experienced central heating engineers from a large company failed to diagnose this. It beggars belief really.

NOT the case!

As I explained to you earlier, that the kind of person employed by this type of operation is NOT usually very good at the job. They are recruited by an agency as desperate for a job and have to take a rather poorly paid one like that.

Very luckily it seems that at last they sent their ( probably only ) competent person who quickly confirmed what we have been telling you was probably wrong!

Tony

Guys,

Two qualified experienced central heating engineers from a large company failed to diagnose this. It beggars belief really.

NOT the case!

As I explained to you earlier, that the kind of person employed by this type of operation is NOT usually very good at the job. They are recruited by an agency as desperate for a job and have to take a rather poorly paid one like that.

Very luckily it seems that at last they sent their ( probably only ) competent person who quickly confirmed what we have been telling you was probably wrong!

Tony

Mmm well. I spoke to a few of them while they were here and from what they said they've been in the game all their working lives and they've all been in their late 30's early 40's. After this experience the conclusion I came to wasn't that they were all necessarily useless but more that they are pushed to complete as many jobs as possible because it's all about productivity. Proper fault diagnosis takes time swapping parts doesn't I guess.

Ironically the guy that found the real faults only qualified a couple of years ago and isn't British - he's from Poland originally. The irony did make me chuckle a bit - maybe I should write to the Dail Fail. That said he was a motor mechanic in Poland and I've had experience of a few Polish car mechanics from my time in Germany and they are superb at fixing things with what they have available rather swapping parts.

Anyway, he's coming back tomorrow to do a followup check and service.

Sponsored Links
My point about the oh stat which I knew when I made the point was in the UV cylinder is to raise the alarm.

you don't want your UV cylinder failing at the OHstat. you want it prevented from reaching that temperature long before.

The two port valve from the keston to the uv cyl must spring to a closed position when power is cut. Ensure this is the case, there have been incidences (I found a few) where ignorant installers have fitted a 2 port valve which motors into the closed position. totally poitless 2 port in that case. it is only there as a failsafe to prevent flow of uncontrolled primary water. the very scenario which would cause an ohstat to interrupt..

Or the main stat could be faulty.

Or the immersion could be on.

Or the OH stat could be faulty.

Whatever caused it must be found and fixed.

Proper fault diagnosis takes time swapping parts doesn't it I guess.

That said he was a motor mechanic in Poland and I've had experience of a few Polish car mechanics from my time in Germany and they are superb at fixing things with what they have available rather swapping parts.

Anyway, he's coming back tomorrow to do a followup check and service.

Diagnosing faults is NOT just swapping parts! Thats a parts changer which is what those people you get from those firms are!

To diagnose a fault you first need to understand how boilers work and do tests and then work out USING YOUR BRAIN whats wrong!

You saw the clear example of someone who could diagnose faults and three who had been working in the industry for 10-20 years and still were just parts changers!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back