Key broken and stuck in PVC front door

How about using a small drill bit (or something similar) as a drift, put it in from the other side and try to line up on the point of the broken key, and tap it gently with a hammer.

Nick

Do not use a drill bit as they can be quite brittle, you do not want to add to your woes.

The lock is already s*****d, what else would you have in your toolbox??

All I am doing is offering ideas to try and help.

Nick.

I've tried poking various sharp thin instruments to try and push out the broken key. But I don't want to push too hard with it incase I break the lock. I've tried a thin bit of rigid wire but it only pushes in so far and I don't really know what I'm pushing up against, whether its the mechanism inside the lock or the key end itself.

Sponsored Links
I have two mates who are locksmiths but unfortunately one is on holiday in Florida and the other is blanking me on Messenger for some reason. I have those locks too and I've discussed them with my mates. If I recall correctly, the procedure for cracking them is by drilling with a small drill strategically drilled into a certain part of the lock, I can't remember exactly where though. It's either through the top or botton of the key slot. There's another method that the burglars use, I can remember that but I'd better not write it here.

You should be able to remove the lock and drill directly on top a few mm from the front edge over the top of the key [you will see a faint circle to guide you] drill down to top of key then it can be levered out, to repair hole ,screw in a suitable size screw a few mm and cut off and file smooth.

You can't remove that lock unless you can turn it to the correct position.

Sponsored Links
I've tried several times since posting this to no avail. I've had to resort to claiming on my household insurance with a £25 excess since the locksmiths I called quotes for all wanted to charge about £80 to come and do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back