The key wont turn in my front door for at least a few attemp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The key wont turn in my front door for at least a few attempts. It is a Garrison cylinder security lock (the kind that needs a code in order for a key to be cut). I am not sure what the problem is. Any recs? Or, is there is a product I can squirt through the key hole to clean it out in case there is debris in it or something.

Sponsored Links
don't use oil

it attracts dust and grit that will jam the lock

you can take off the cylinder and wash it in paraffin though (shake it well, you may be surprised how much dirt comes out)

examine your key for wear and damage. try a spare key in better condition.

look for any scratches or damage that suggests someone may have been interfering with your lock or squirting something into it.

or wd40, both that and oil hold dust.

beleive it or not usea 2b (or not 2b) pencil rub the key then put it in the lock, its the grapite that lubriates the lock and will not hold dirt like oil and or wd40 can

Sponsored Links
WD40............. solves everything! spray it, wiggle it spray again... wiggle and hey presto !! (i'm a diy-er by the way, not a pro locksmith!)
i should be a salesman for WD40... spray it on a cloth and rub it on your curtain tracks....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back