Key won't fully insert to turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason locked front door ok, came back and the key wouldn't fully insert now to be able to turn.

I've tried a few different keys from other family members but they all won't insert.

We have a thumb-turn on the inside and it locks the door ok, it's a multipoint door.

The key is a Mul-T-Lock type if makes a difference. Supposed to be really good?

I've had a little look inside they lock but hard to see as can't really see inside.

I haven't removed the lock or anything yet as worried on time if couldn't get back in leaving lock open. It was originally fitted by a locksmith about 3 years ago. I will call of have to but wondered if I could try anything first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried some 3-in-1 oil on the key? Or Vaseline?

DON'T try WD-40.

Have you tried some 3-in-1 oil on the key? Or Vaseline?

DON'T try WD-40.

I was looking after posting and many say to try WD-40. Why not please?

I haven't tried anything yet, it slides in ok up to the point where it just stops

Sponsored Links
try leaning /pulling on the door to reduce to a minimum the load on the lock bolt and hold whilst you turn the key
another possibility
was it mistakenly snibbed on the inside and slammed shut ??
get inside and unsnib ??

try leaning /pulling on the door to reduce to a minimum the load on the lock bolt and hold whilst you turn the key
another possibility
was it mistakenly snibbed on the inside and slammed shut ??
get inside and unsnib ??
Can't insert the key in to get to the point that can attempt to turn though.

No it was locked came back 10mins later and couldn't get key back in.

As I say it locks fine using the thumb turn inside, lifting the handle up first to engage the other 5 point locks on the door etc is fine.

it's possible something was rammed into the keyhole by an undesirable hoping you will go out and leave your door unlocked.

Have you got a lockable back door you can use?

Why not please?

WD-40 is great in the short term at lubricating things, but it dries out, turns sticky and you end up worse off in the long run. Why so many people think it is this wonder solution, is because at the time, it did "fix that squeaky hinge" or "un-jam that stiff lock".

Their own website says it was invented as a "rust-prevention solvent and degreaser" and the WD stands for "Water Displacement". It is not good for long term lubrication.

Sounds like the cylinder has gone, Possibly a pin fallen out or something.
Give the locksmiths a ring first to see if its covered by any guarantee.

If not they are easy to remove and replace (only 1 screw). Just make sure you get the correct size (hundreds of sizes available), Lots of guides and vids online just Google euro cylinder replacement.

You don't want the external part of the lock sticking out past the handle more than 2mm (ideally flush).

Consider going for a 3* security lock. Definitely an anti snap lock at least.

If you have a letterbox you might want to rethink the thumbturn. There are tools that can reach through to unlock so it may invalidate your home insurance.

Locksmith came, removed lock and it wouldn't turn, said faulty. Its a Garrison Mul-T-lock, the "best" so he said. I said what warranty and wasn't sure so he's contacting them. Its only 3 years old...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back