kitchen extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a kitchen extractor fan,

As I cant spur from the oven's ring. Are you allowed to chase into the wall horizontally? from a different fixed socket. And do you think I should use a 13amp fused switch connection for the fan.

Sponsored Links
Chris, you should not chase a wall horizontally, it is simply asking for the cable to be drilled or nailed through.

Regarding the spur, you MUST supply the fan from a fused spur if you come off any circuit other than lighting.

As I cant chase a cable horizontally I have got a lot of chasing to do. Whats the best tool for the job? any tips?

I would say that installing cables horizontally with adequate protection between accessories is fully compliant with 522-06-06 of te IEE Regulation. I stand to be corrected if if I have misinterpreted. :?:

Sponsored Links
sb99 said:
I would say that installing cables horizontally with adequate protection between accessories is fully compliant with 522-06-06 of te IEE Regulation. I stand to be corrected if if I have misinterpreted. :?:

Believe me you have not misinterpreted.

It may not be a breach of the regs in the technical sense, but it is bad practise and prone to disaster.

It is YET ANOTHER example of the Regs being written by pen pushers who do not live in the world everyone else does.

The Guys who wrote the regs have only got their hands dirty when falling over!!

Do you then suggest that I go up into the cealing accross and then back down? that is going to mean knocking a big trench in the wall, can you use a router ?

Chris666 said:
Do you then suggest that I go up into the cealing accross and then back down? that is going to mean knocking a big trench in the wall, can you use a router ?
No, you can't use a router.

You can use a bolster and club hammer and much BS&T. Or a chisel on a roto-stop hammer drill, or a proper twin-wheel chasing tool.

Be warned that any power tool will create a great deal of dust.

Plan B is to politely thank FWL for his observations on bad practice and, in full accordance with the regulations and the On-Site Guide, run the cable horizontally.

Chris, how big is the fan and what type of control does it have..ie, built in humidistat, timer or what?

By size, I mean power rating.

Most fans are small in terms of power usage, and can easily be wired to the lighting circuit via a triple pole isolator.

I cannot think of a fan you would have in a domestic kitchen that cannot be wired this way, just as they are in bathrooms.

The extractor fan does not have an earth in its cable, I want to connect it to the ring main with a 13amp fused swicth, does this mean I cant and have to put it on the lighting ring??

The instuctions are poor, the fan cable has no earth in its cable and says it has to be fitted with an ALL POLE connection. Whats that?

Chris, the fan does not have an earth connection because it is class II equipment..double insulated.

The cables supplying the fan must still have an Earth core in it, doesn't matter if it originates from the Ring via a spur or from the lighting circuit.

Incidently, the Lighting circuit is not a ring.

I have taken your advise FWL and chased the spur up the wall into the cealing, accross and back down again,

My only consern now is the fuse. will it need 13amp or 3?

Instuctions dont say all it says is 160W

Im going to test the thing with a 3 amp fuse in it, lets hope it dont go bang!

what does an ALL POLE connection mean then?

As you will be running this from a spur, don't woory about the ALL POLE comment, spurs break/make both poles anyway.

Chris666 said:
I have taken your advise FWL and chased the spur up the wall into the cealing, accross and back down again,..
Blimey - that was quick. If the wiring was going into the ceiling anyway, you must have wanted really badly to not use the lighting circuit to do all that extra chasing...

May I ask why, OOI?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back