Wiring for oven / fan please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
So i was just after some knowledge so i know if my sparky installs correctly.
I am getting a new feed from fuse box for oven so wondeed the Ampage of MCB (45A?)and size of cable (10mm?) havnt chose oven yet but maybe bosch

Also can the extractor fan be spurred from an old socket on the kitchen ring main via 13amp switch?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Firstly and very important:
Your sparky must be registered to certify and notify this work. As this is rquired for electrical work in a kitchen and for new circuits. He should be on this list www.competentperson.co.uk

If he is registered (and therefore competent) he will know the answers to these Qs but I'l answer them for you.

If a new feed is being put in then I would install 10mm as you dont know what you are going to need.
The MCB size will be determined by the electrician but will normally be 45 or 50A for a 10mm cable. Your sparky will also need to ensure the fuseboard and the supply can cope with the additional load, that the earth bonding is up to spec and that an RCD is in place and is up to spec.

For the fan he will probably use a fused spur - probably only fused at 3amps for a fan - that will depend on how your kitchen sockets are wired.

Edit: PS do you mean oven or cooker? If its only a single oven then you may just be able to plug it into a regular socket. If its a combo hob and oven then it will bneed a dedicated feed.

Thanks for such a quick answer

I have had a new split rcd board fitted but as currently on gas no mcb placed incase i go electric.

The oven is a single one...are they all 13 amp?

Also i am getting a intergrated microwave/combo installed. i presume this is 13amp as well?

The oven is a single one...are they all 13 amp?
Not necessarily. Some are made to be plugged in to a ring circuit with a 13A plug already fitted. Some are more than 13A and will need a separate feed just for them. But you wouldnt need a 10mm/45amp feed for a single oven.

Also i am getting a intergrated microwave/combo installed. i presume this is 13amp as well?
Again, not necessarily. You would need to check the spec of teh ovens you plan to get and then install accordingly.

Some manufactureres will madate the size of the feed. And you need to follow their instructions or you could invalidate the warranty.

So
1. Chose your appliance
2. Check the current rating(s)
3. Call your electrician and let him tell you what you need. (or ask back on here)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back