Wiring Oven and Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the moment the cable comes from the old all in one cooker into the cooker conenction unit and then back to the fuse box with a 45A fuse. Is a 45A too high a fuse? I only know that the hob is 5.8Kw not sure about the oven but it is a single fan oven so probably no where near the hob. Does that mean that the setup at the moment is wrong and that I would need a lower amp fuse. If so what ampage would this be and can you still get the old style plug in fuses.

Please can you also explain the best way to wire up the hob and oven

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what size is the cable from the CU to the cooker point and from the cooker point to the cooker itself?

this will have a big bearing on the answer to your question. :LOL:

5800 watts is about 24A at full load for the hob, then youve got whatever the oven pulls.

would think that you could definetly get away with a lower rated fuse, 32A protection is about the norm for cooker circuit.

but unless your cooker circuit is wired in 10mm the 45A fuse is likely to be too high.

its 6mm cable, is the 45a fuse going to be a problem. The old cooker has been like this for years?

If i use 30a and the hob is 23 surely the oven will be more than 7?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Ovens are typically about 3
I think that's a typo for 13A ...or, sorry, maybe 3kW?

(though I would have said 10A was quite usual)

however there is some diversity, and some leeway for short periods.

When you know the exact power demands of both hob and oven we can probably make a judgement.

The important thing is that the capacity of the cable is equal to or greater than the MCB. You would probably get a 32A MCB. What make, type and colour is your consumer unit/fuseboard?

Its an old wylex 606, old fuse type. at the momemt it has a 45a fuse for the cooker, idealy if possible i want to be able to leave as is?

is this ok?

thanks

Is the Wylex White or Brown? Or a grey metal one?

You can get plug-in MCBs to fit very easily.

Is there a moulded or stuck-on label next to the main switch of the Wylex saying "Max load not to exceed.....(something)?"

What size is the cable for the cooker circuit?

its the grey metal one

not to exceed 63amps

cooker cable is 6mm

...then you should fit a 32A or (an older) 30A MCB - easily obtained - ask for a "Wylex Standard MCB with shield." (you need the new, red plastic shield as each MCB or fuse has differently sized and spaced prongs).

About £7 retail, about £2.50 on Fleabay.

Thanks JohnD,

Would the below link be the one I need?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331832&ts=20520&id=87979

ALso can you advise regarding the wiring, as it is replacing a old free standing cooker I only have one cable going into the cooker at the moment. As I am replacing with a separate hob and oven can I plug the existing cable into the hob and then loop the oven into this?

Thanks again.

++++++++
The "edit" button helps you tidy up.

Mod Rupert
++++++++

Yes, that's the one. My garage is crammed with them :LOL:

That will do the hob. What's the rating for your oven?

Hi,

Havent managed to get to the oven yet as it is stuck in my Dad's garage. I am sure the below link is it:

http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U22064.pdf

All I can see is it says 13A for plug socket and 20A, sorry but does this mean I cant use the current cable for the hob and then loop the oven into it.

Also will both of 5.8kw hob and this oven be ok on the current 45A fuse or shoudl buy the new 32A MCB.

I would apprciate any help on this.

Thanks Everyone.

If it will run on a 13A plug, you would probably do better to plug it in on the socket Ring, not on the cooker circuit.

That way you can have the hob protected against overload by an MCB of about the right amperage, and the oven protected by a 13A fuse. This will be "better" for fault protection than if the oven is protected only by a 30A MCB, since you would need a truly enormous fault to trip it, and the oven might burn your house down first :LOL:

Also the MCB would be insufficient to carry the loads of both the hob and the oven when they are both on, e.g. cooking your Christmas dinner.

I suspect that your existing cooker cable is 6mm which is insufficient for 45A but OK for a 30A or 32A MCB. You will appreciate that I can't see it from here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back