Oven & Hob on single 45a switch *revised*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, maybe the original post was a bit rambling so I'll simplify it.

How would one connect up a 5.8kw hob and a 2.5kw single oven.

Currently there is the old cooker cable still in the wall, leading back to the CU and into a 45a plug-in fuse.

Specifically what sockets, switches, fcu's etc are required to do the job.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Is the cable suitable for carrying 45 amps, given the installation method of the cable and the earth resistance reading? If not, the fuse should be replace with a lower value one. You dont need 45 amps anyway.

5.8 + 2.5 = 8.3. 8300/230 = 36 amps.

Allowing a little for diversity, fit a 30 amp fuse.

You need a cooker switch (without socket), feeding a cooker outlet plate and a single socket (for the oven). This is the easiest way to do it.

Oh, and theres part p to consider too.

Cheers Crafty, much simpler than I thought. So one of these, going into one of these for the hob, and one of these to plug the cooker into.

The cable is pretty chunky, no idea what it is but a pro spark (dads mate doing him a favour) is coming tomorrow and I need to get down to SF tonight to pick up the accessories to match current sockets. Just the DP switch to get then as he should have the others in white plastic. So the oven socket is hidden beneath worktop then?

aaaah, volex!!!! dont do it!!!! ;) seriously, get MK or crabtree, worth the extra cost.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
aaaah, volex!!!! dont do it!!!! ;) seriously, get MK or crabtree, worth the extra cost.

aw, they can't be that bad! It's only a cooker switch, and therefore will hardly get touched in it's lifetime. Anyway SF don't do any other brand in brushed stainless, and I ain't paying Homebase prices!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back