Kitchen hob from bottle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - was hoping someone clued up with gas could help me with a left field q. I'm converting a camper and need to stick a hob in; don't want a special camping hob but more of a domestic hob you'd normally stick in the kitchen. Question is - can I stick that to a bottle and if so can it be propane/butane/lpg/patio gas (still a bit confused what the difference is). My assumption was they are all forms of natural gas so would be fine but the more I read the more confused I get!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all - was hoping someone clued up with gas could help me with a left field q. I'm converting a camper and need to stick a hob in; don't want a special camping hob but more of a domestic hob you'd normally stick in the kitchen. Question is - can I stick that to a bottle and if so can it be propane/butane/lpg/patio gas (still a bit confused what the difference is). My assumption was they are all forms of natural gas so would be fine but the more I read the more confused I get!

Thanks
Butane/Propane and Natural Gas have different calorific values. Ie they liberate different amounts of heat from the same vokume. This means that the injectors may be different for each application

The hob will need 12v ignition or a box of matches to light and the burner jets will need to those suitable for propane or butane lpg gas (patio gas doesnt burn hot enough for cooking).
Certain sized bottles are difficult to source at the moment and are ruddy expensive. I fitted a 12v 4 burner hob 50 x 60 cm to my boat but smaller 2 or 3 burner hobs are available online.

The hob I have in my kitchen came with an extra set of jets for propane. It might be the case that all/most/some new hobs come that way.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Are these jets universal; ie if a hob comes without them is it just a case of replacing them with generic propane jets or are they specific to the make? And also is having jets you fit yourself safe and fairly straight forward? I'm assuming so if many give you the option.

Thanks all. Are these jets universal; ie if a hob comes without them is it just a case of replacing them with generic propane jets or are they specific to the make? And also is having jets you fit yourself safe and fairly straight forward? I'm assuming so if many give you the option.
I would imagine they are specific to the hob but they are a piece of cake to fit.

I just remembered that in my spare bedroom I have a brand new oven and hob. On looking at the hob I found this.
20220316_102330.jpg

Butane/Propane and Natural Gas have different calorific values. Ie they liberate different amounts of heat from the same vokume. This means that the injectors may be different for each application

Butane and propane now are able to work via a single pressure regulator, called a bulkhead regulator - the jetting for the appliance is then a compromise for the differing calorific values of the two gasses.

What does vary, is the adaptor for the specific gas bottle. So you have an adaptor, an high pressure hose to the bulkhead regulator, the regulator, then the low pressure distribution to the appliances.

Last edited:
If you look at spares online, the seller will list which make n model the jets are for. Yes they are easy to fit but beware of snapping one off when removing one as a friend once did and I guess it is really a job for an LPG gas registered guy but that is another subject :whistle:

Thanks all. bloody hell, who knew it would be so complicated?! Does anyone have any recommendations of type of fuel to go for? Seems to be lots of caveats regarding temperature, efficiency and cost. I had lpanned butane but it doesn't seem that the spare butane jets are as common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back