Ventillation for an LPG gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing a kitchen cupboard and the worktop for an LPG (propane) hob which will be fitted by a Corgi reg fitter.

The hob instructions state that there should a 5mm gap between the worktop and anything beneath. I assume this is to prevent a gas buildup in the cupboard should a leak develop. This makes sense for natural gas which is lighter than air, but propane sinks. I have complied with this, and also intend to seal the back so that gas cannot leak down behind the unit and into the void behind the plinth. But are there any other recommendations for ventillating the cabinet?

A second question. I understand that a tap should be fitted close the hob. If this is under the hob in the cupboard, it seems to me that this is introducing something else that can leak in an enclosed space. Is this a requirement or a recommendation? There will be an emergency tap fitted at the bottle end of the supply pipe which is just under 3m long.

I know the Corgi guy will have an answer, but people do interpret regs differently, and I would just like to get an opinion.

Sponsored Links
how many different opinions were you hoping for?

The hob instructions state that there should a 5mm gap between the worktop and anything beneath. I assume this is to prevent a gas buildup in the cupboard should a leak develop.
No its to prevent heat affecting the area below the hob
A second question. I understand that a tap should be fitted close the hob. If this is under the hob in the cupboard, it seems to me that this is introducing something else that can leak in an enclosed space. Is this a requirement or a recommendation?
Requirement or recommendation is irrelevant to me although I do believe it is a code of practice rather than a statute of law. If I was fitting it then whatever it says in the instructions goes as I regard them as the last say in the matter before any official consultation. If the hob was fitted in a static caravan aka a 'Residential Park Home' then it would generally be the case that a dump grill be fitted.
Thinking about it in a domestic situation, ventilating the cabinet at low level could be more detrimental as it would allow an escape to spread across the floor resulting in a sea of flame should it be ignited. A cupboard full of gas would be my preference as the gas would come out at a higher level and I would have more chance of smelling it. I may be right or wrong in that idea but whatever I would follow the instructions to the letter and if I had any doubts I would take them up with the manufacturer or Corgi.
If the hob is to be fitted against an outside wall then an air brick at low level would act as a dump grill if you were worried about an escape in the absence of any other directions.

Thanks,

I'll leave the cupboard as it is with a 5mm gap at the top.

The question about the gas tap came from something I read somewhere and was not mentioned in the hob instructions. I'll leave it up to the Corgi guy, but my preference is to do without if possible.

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
If the hob was fitted in a static caravan aka a 'Residential Park Home' then it would generally be the case that a dump grill be fitted.
Was told a few weeks ago that an installation is classed as 'at risk' without a dump vent. (lpg of course)

I have always understood that there SHOULD be an isolating gas valve on a Nat Gas hob and indeed on a Landlords Gas Safety inspection I always note it if there is none.

As far as LPG goes there seems to be less formal direction and more individual interpretation of whats best in any particular situation.

You have not said where the cylinder is located within 3 m. I thought that its no longer allowable to have LPG cylinders inside a fixed dwelling?

Tony

lpg requirements are the same as nat gas in a house,as always the manufacturers instructions need to be read regarding installation,a point of isolation is required on a fixed appliance.cly have to be fitted outside the property with certain distances and clearances from doors/windows/drains etc.

Just to clarify, the propane bottles are located outside the house.

There is no mention of an isolating gas valve in the manufacturer's installation instructions. The reason I raised the question is because I am rather concerned about having one fitted near the hob in a cupboard as propane is very searching, so much so that not all valves suitable for natural gas are safe with propane.

The requirement for the isolating valve comes in the GSUR 1998 ( as amended ).

The manufacturers instructions cover THEIR appliance only. The pipework, valves and cylinders are covered by the regulations and good practice which any competent CORGI engineer is expected to know.

Tony

Thanks Agile,

Really what I wanted was an opinion whether fitting an LPG on/off valve in a kitchen cupboard was necessary in my particular installation. The regulations seem to leave this up to the installer.

At the OPSI website the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998, Interpretation of Part E, states:

"No person shall install a gas appliance without there being at the inlet to it means of shutting off the supply of gas to the appliance unless the provision of such means is not reasonably practicable."

It seems to me that it would not be "reasonable practice" to install a valve in a cupboard where it may get damaged or leak (especially with propane), and considering the short pipe run it would be better to have the valve outside the house.

Some of you pros must have installed countless kitchen hobs - what do you normally do?

Simply use lpg fittings, the only time there is an issue with fittings is if they contain rubber which the lpg will destroy or use a non lpg sealant...lpg isolation taps are standard fare. If you don't want it however then don't have it.

"""Some of you pros must have installed countless kitchen hobs - what do you normally do?"""

Fit the isolating valves in accordance with the regulations of course!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back