Kitchen Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advise really, best lights for my parents kitchen, currently they have 2 floresent tubes (40w i think) , each switched seperate, they are having the ceeling re done so want the lights replaced also as they are very old ones (ive just rewired the house with the electrician, and due to other work replacing the fittings in the kitchen is the last thing to do)

The kitchen is quite long and is a L shape, see image attached.

Grey = worktops
Red = where current lights are
Yellow = i was thinking of 4 GU10 spots ? here maybe ?

Easy access from above so thats not a problem for any fittings.

Do you think 4 spots are a good idea ? Its really bright now with both lights on and they want to keep it that way as they use the kitchen quite a bit. As for how much they get used maybe a few hours a night but thats a lot of off and on's as they go in and out of the room a lot.

Looking for ideas....

Sponsored Links
The four spots won't give enough light I reckon.

You should go for two new fluorescent fittings. (Nice ones.)

agree with above, flourescents are the best lights for kitchens apart from them ugly round ones)

Downlighters give a very local spread of light with much shadow.

Fluorescent fittings on the other hand, offer excellent light output & spread of light with, due to the shape of the lamp, minimal shadow.

Stick with them, especially if your folk are happy with the light output. The other thing to consider is that the majority of accidents in the home occur in the kitchen. Many of these are due to poor lighting.

Sponsored Links
i beg to differ on the cause for the accidents. you haven't tasted my other half's cooking :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back