kitchen rewire

I'm pretty sure you are over-thinking this.
Maybe, but don't forget that we're talking about regulations which say that if we have an existing non-RCD-protected circuit invoving, say, 30 metres of cable, mainly buried <50mm, if we extend the circuit involving an extra 1 metre of (similarly buried) cable, that we then have to RCD protect the circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I personally would struggle to see how one could argue that one had complied with 314.1 if one had created a situation in which a single fault could take out all circuits in the installation.
This is where I need to get my head around (iv)
As this does not specify a fault condition.

I personally would struggle to see how one could argue that one had complied with 314.1 if one had created a situation in which a single fault could take out all circuits in the installation.
This is where I need to get my head around (iv) As this does not specify a fault condition.
That's surely different. 314.1(iv) is about avoiding RCD tripping by having too many 'high leakage' loads protected by one RCD/RCBO, isn't it?

It's surely 314.1(i) which one would struggle to say one was compliant with if an entire installation was protected by a single RCD?

Kind Regards, John

That's surely different. 314.1(iv) is about avoiding RCD tripping by having too many 'high leakage' loads protected by one RCD/RCBO, isn't it?

It's surely 314.1(i) which one would struggle to say one was compliant with if an entire installation was protected by a single RCD?
But you could say that the installation even on one RCD, has been divided in to circuits and danger/inconvenience avoided/minimised, when under fault.

Sponsored Links
But you could say that the installation even on one RCD, has been divided in to circuits and danger/inconvenience avoided/minimised, when under fault.
In the event of an L-N fault then, yes, the 'division into circuits' (with individual OPDs) could be said to avoid/minimise danger/inconvenience.

However, by bringing all those circuits together under the protection of a common RCD, you are losing that 'division' in the face of L-E or N-E faults - which doesn't sound very compliant with 314.1(i) to me.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back