Kitchen Wiring.....

brother in law is full qualified with all the bells and whistles that you guys need.

My father-in-law is a builder so he is helping too. He has 30 odd years in the trade so he is also making sure I dont blow myself up lol

Can I ask why you would have to notify the Local's for?

Because how I see the job now from what I thought I was going to have to do,is now relocate the cooker switch and control unit to the location where the hob is going to be 3m by 1.5m away from its current location and then spur a fsd 13a plug for the oven 1.5m by 2.5m away from the cooker switch. So the oven is a u shape away from the old location of the standalone cooker.

Sponsored Links
My brother in law is a sparky, but does not do mates rates and is unhelpful with advice.
But he is helpful enough to lie to the authorities to say he did work which was actually done by someone else who didn't know how to do it properly?

I don't think so.

Sponsored Links
I hope you take it.

The work you are proposing to do is notifiable, without a Building Regulations completion certificate you could have problems if you ever want to sell the house, and you are not going to get a certificate via your b-i-l.

You won't even get an electrical certificate to say that the work complies with the Wiring Regulations.

Also the work you propose to do involves more than you think it does, and requires expertise before the point of testing at the end, expertise which you do not have and which you cannot acquire by asking random questions here, or of your b-i-l.

The reason he's not being helpful with advice is probably that he knows that too, and doesn't want to encourage you to DIY.

I thank you for all your advice ban-all-sheds and appreciate you guys are all qualified in stopping us DIY'er blowing ourselves up....

I have been into the roof space after pulling some of the ceiling down to find tons and tons of slack on the cooker circuit, lighting circuit and socket circuit. The sparky who did the initial wiring for the kitchen clearly had no idea for cost and just connected the end without removing the slack. Plenty of slack for the cooker circuit to be moved to the over side of the kitchen without the need to rewire.

I've contacted my brother in law who as drawn up some plans for me to follow, wire to use and where to chase etc. Now having access to the roof space the chasing is just going to be straight down.

Im just putting the wires where he wants them and then he is going to connect and test. Once he is happy, he is going to sign it off.

My wife bribed him with my spare glass greenhouse for some work lol

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back