Laminate flooring advice.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm laying laminate flooring in a small cloak room. The room is not straight. I've tried to come off the only place in the room where there is skirting on both edges. I've cut boards and done a dry run but as I get on to the next row theres is a less of a gap between the edge of the first board and the skirting. Is there any way in which I can find or make a straight line in which to lay the first board? Thanks in advance. PS i've attached a picture to give you some idea of what I mean.
FullSizeRender 41.jpg
FullSizeRender 40.jpg

Sponsored Links
make sure you leave a 10mm gap around the pipes as well as all edges off the boards to walls and door frames

5mm gap will be more than adequate very little expansion on mdf.Needs cutting closer to pipework.

Sponsored Links
Like you have noticed you'r room is not straight, so when you cut your board, make the first cut straight, and then (so you can use the board again on the next run) and then make the angled cut taking into account the 10mm gap which you need to cover with the decorative trip. to cover the pipe you can use these 15mm pipe covers (they come in all kind of colors)

Thank you for your replies everyone I really appreciate it. Foxhole i agree needs cutting closer to pipe work found it quite difficult to fit first board due to having to fit it between door frame as well but will recut a new first board to get it closer to the pipe. Mcluma I get that I have to make the first cut straight but I'm not sure how to achieve this so that the boards continue to run straight throughout. How do I ensure that the first board is cut straight if i ca't rely on my skirting boards to achieve the strainght line? Thanks again

you cut it close to the pipe you dont have the required expansion for the floor
you may get away with it it may become a pinch point the choice is up to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back