Laminated pine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ignoramus here again!

I'm buying two pieces of wood to make shelves for a kitchen. One end needs to be square/straight (up against wall) and I want to round off the other ends as they will be at eye level so I don't want them to poke someone's eye out.

I just phoned the timber dealer (Alsford) to get these boards delivered and he offers me Southern yellow pine OR something called laminated pine.

Which one should I choose? Can this "laminated pine" be rounded at one end with a jigsaw or will it fall apart?

Lady

Sponsored Links
Laminated pine normally refers to pine boards which are made up of smaller pieces of pine laminated together.

If you think of a butcher's block then that will give you a bit of an idea.

Nothing wrong with laminated pine - it is a normal method of creating larger pieces from smaller ones. If it is laminate pine then you should not have any problem rounding off the corners.

FYI - here are some pics of laminated pine boards from Alsford's own website [below]

Hope that helps.

B

http://www.alsfordtimber.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=laminated+pine

Go for the solid pine....the laminated stuff is likely to be MDF which will show once the edge is rounded.
The big DIY sheds do pine boards in a variety of lengths and widths if that's any help!
John :)
Edit...if laminated as per belboz description, that's what I mean by the pine boards, as against the surface finish. Sorry for confusion!

Cheers Bel

I should have said, by "rounded" I don't mean just sanding the edge off, I mean drawing a curved line and cutting it off with a jigsaw so the edge would end up being about 3 inches shorter than it is. I don't know how to describe it as I don't know the jargon.

Is there any actual benefit to using laminated pine? I intend to paint these shelves white, by the way; does the lamination mean they cannot be painted?

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be Burnerman - no way is laminated pine ever MDF.

They are timber merchants so should be fine as described.

I agree that less knowledgeable and/or unscrupulous firms may wrongly describe/label wood products.

;)

Shouldn't be Burnerman - no way is laminated pine ever MDF.

They are timber merchants so should be fine as described.

I agree that less knowledgeable and/or unscrupulous firms may wrongly describe/label wood products.

;)

Aye, what threw me was I removed a pine faced cupboard for someone a couple of weeks ago...it was pine veneer and looked awful.
The OP of course can cut and treat genuine laminated pine as if it was one complete piece.
John :)

Cheers Bel

I should have said, by "rounded" I don't mean just sanding the edge off, I mean drawing a curved line and cutting it off with a jigsaw so the edge would end up being about 3 inches shorter than it is. I don't know how to describe it as I don't know the jargon.

Is there any actual benefit to using laminated pine? I intend to paint these shelves white, by the way; does the lamination mean they cannot be painted?

You should have no problem cutting the corners with a jigsaw and then sanding them to a smooth curve.

Painting laminated pine is fine providing - as with all wood - the wood is properly prepared and primed.

Laminated pine is generally cheaper than a solid piece of pine [for obvious reasons] hence why there is a cost benefit.

Burnerman - I know the stuff you mean.

That's veneer-face contiboard (or should be) but I have seen places advertise pine laminate which is actually what you describe - MDF or chipboard with a thin pine veneer.

Have also seen melamine (the plastic pine covering) advertised as such.

Had I not known the suppliers, I would have got the OP to check exactly what she was getting first.

However, they are timber merchants so should know what they are on about!!

:D

I think I shall go for the plain wood as I know that can be painted.

Thanks guys

LHL

If you are to paint it mdf is much cheaper and gives an good paint finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back