Large bubbles on ceiling - HELP, please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The decorator used Dulux Vinyl on the ceiling and now there are bubbles. They seem to inflate and deflate. No, it is not just the change of light. 4 of them were opened and then replastered and painted. 2 have returned.
The ceilings were both plaster with emulsion or paper with emulsion then he used the vinyl matt.
Had I been asked if I wanted vinyl I would have been adamant that I would not want plastic on my bedroom and hallway ceilings. And, then he also did the hallways (not a terribly smooth surface as a 1892 house) with Dulux vinyl sheen and it is horrible - it magnifies every single flaw.
I fear that I need to strip and replaster - a huge expense and disruption to my life and welfare.
A visitor who speaks German found a website that specifically stated the vinyl should not be used except kitchen and bathrooms since walls need to breathe. I have not seen this written except a Dulux technical advisor spoke about the permeability requirement.
THANK YOU for your guidance. I don't know what to do!

Sponsored Links
1892 house
the problem is that your ceilings have old distemper on them. It is nothing to do with using vinyl.

If your decorator is local, experienced, and was recommended to you, I am surprised that he was not aware of this risk.

Tell us about your decorator. How much did he charge? Is he a Brit with local knowledge?

Yes, the British decorator was highly recommended by someone who used his services for 20 years.
The ceilings were:
3 with wallpaper and emulsion on them.
1 was plain plaster with emulsion - when one bubble opened and repaired then it has reinflated!
NONE of them had bubbles!
He was paid the price he requested and given the keys to the house to do the job in two stages so that all things could be removed except a gigantic dining table and 2 sofas that he said were OK. The beds left but covered.
His other work was very sloppy - surprising but can be repaired by a new decorator who is very careful and experienced. The new decorator also understands how upset I am and puts up with my angst.
Yet vinyl on a home! Sheen so every small undulation is exaggerated ... then the bubbles!
Is my only recourse to strip the ceilings, replaster and paint? The expense, the chaos and disruption to my life distresses me.
MANY THANKS!

Sponsored Links
If you have a very experienced decorator who can examine the ceilings and bubbles then I really can't see why you are asking us to guess blind what the problem is. The odds are the paper has lost its bond with the ceiling (typical of distemper). It will need stripping and probably scraping and possibly skimming. All messy jobs. However, your decorator will be able advise better than we can.

Sorry you have had a bad experience, and if the bubbles are due to distemper I am surprised the decorator did not spot the risk earlier.

but
Yet vinyl on a home!
is not itself a problem. It is a hard-wearing material that can be washed clean. Vinyl emulsion paint is available in matt or silk finishes.

However it is an unusual choice to use a silk finish on a poor surface, unless it has been lined first.

I am guessing you have not done much decorating before, or you would not have chosen silk (or, would have asked your decorator to use matt). It is possible to improve the surfaces of plaster on an 1892 house, or even older, but this is labour-intensive so more often done by DIYers who have more time than money.

If you have a very experienced decorator who can examine the ceilings and bubbles then I really can't see why you are asking us to guess blind what the problem is. The odds are the paper has lost its bond with the ceiling (typical of distemper). It will need stripping and probably scraping and possibly skimming. All messy jobs. However, your decorator will be able advise better than we can.

Tell us about your decorator. How much did he charge? Is he a Brit with local knowledge?
:LOL: . You`re a card, Joe . Plastic ( vinyl ) paints have been around since we had that tussle with your German visitors ancestors ;) One I recall was Brolac PEP. ( Plastic emulsion paint ) and was taking over from Nine Elms and Walpamur distempers.

The decorator is British. Worked for 20 years doing a fine job for a neighbor. He did substandard work so a terrific decorator (British) is patiently clearing up the mess which includes an inability to filler and clean paint around the skirting. He was paid his quoted amount and had the house almost empty (2 bedrooms were filled) so he did the work in two pieces. I was not present to monitor him, having confidence. Misplaced it seems. Speaking about Germany - the German website war against using vinyl except for one wall since it exudes fumes that are toxic. The UK and US sites don't state this. Who knows? The only out I see is to strip and replaster - a huge mess and expense. Adding that the bubbles inflate and deflate so at one moment I have 8 big ones on the ceiling and then the next day may only see 2 very vague. Odd. Amusing? NO!
I wish Dulux would review it but they are not interested .... I think they don't believe the story of the bubbles.

:LOL: . You`re a card, Joe . Plastic ( vinyl ) paints have been around since we had that tussle with your German visitors ancestors ;) One I recall was Brolac PEP. ( Plastic emulsion paint ) and was taking over from Nine Elms and Walpamur distempers.

Sounds like the paper he's emulsioned over, was undersoaked in the first place or something wrong with the substrate. If someone asks you to emulson a ceiling paper that's already there, then that's what you do.
IF it bubbles with vinyl paint it would bubble with anything. If you spray water on it (non vinyl) it'll bubble.

It's possible that these ceilings when initially plastered, where not allowed to dry out before applying probably a vinyl.
If that's the case, they will always do this no matter what you paint them with, assuming it's always going to be water based.
Lots of times they go back though.

... the German website war against using vinyl except for one wall since it exudes fumes that are toxic...
I wouldn't pay much attention to this. The stuff released when emulsion paint dries out is principally water. If you look hard enough you will find shocking statistics about the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide, and although it is true that it causes a great many deaths throughout the world, I think we just have to put up with its presence in our homes. There is no respectable scientific evidence that the use of emulsion paint in an ordinary house is dangerous to health.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

http://www.netreach.net/~rjones/no_dhmo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

Ach- just more ov der propaganda :idea: If the room in question is an upstairs one with an attic above, I can postulate that the outside air may be permeating the ancient lath and plaster and causing the bubbles to grow and then dissappear. Worst case scenario - board over the lot , no need to pull it down - lesser case , the new dec. should be able to carefully strip the paper and see what lies under . May then be OK to use a sealer over all the ceiling .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back