LATHE AND PLASTER CEILING: SIMPLE ONE

I've been in a very similar situation, i'm renovating a 1920's semi with lathe and plaster ceilings. did an initial check and couldnt see any areas that may contain asbestos, insulation in the loft was new fibreglass....

that was until part of the ceiling came down along with vermiculite insulation.

i paid a whopping £50 to have samples checked, had a week of worry waiting for results but all was ok.

the best advice would simply be get them to do a check and pay for it if your worried and it'll set you mind at rest, pictures can give a clue on asbestos sheets but certainly not if plaster contains it, and if you dont get it checked properly it will always be on your mind!

Sponsored Links
and as for overboarding- some recomend but from my experience i wouldnt! in the house im doing they'd done this in all downstair rooms and the weight had caused the lathes to sag and a couple of the joists- when it was all taken off the whole floor sprung up about half an inch in the middle

and there we need to agree to disagree.

yes there are some fantastic people on here and well informed, but no on on this site can confirm 100% that there is no asbestos in this. they have already advised that they doubt it which is as far as they can recommend without samples taken!!

as states, even professionals say 'it may' until they have samples and thats them seeing it in person.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm looking at removing the one in a flat, the ceiling is bowing all over the place and we reackon it is plasterboard nailed over a lath and plaster ceiling. So looks like removal is the only option.

I'm going to take it down with my brother, we are thinking, disposable suits, googles and Moldex face masks with P3 level filters.

then bag it all up, get the henry out to clear up, any advice. it is a fisrt floor flat so want to take it down in sections.

If the roof is above your ceiling then you could jack the ceiling up and put more hangers in the loft, or the other alternative is to build a new false ceiling. I would advise you to pick one of those options, don't underestimate the mess it will make taking an old ceiling down.

No it's a two floor flat, above is the bedroom. Thought about a false ceiling, but by the time I cut all the holes to allow me to support the beams (its a large area) from the joists, it's just as easy to take the ceiling down. I understand it's messy but its so bowed. And I'm figuring once its down and cleaned up it's done.

Ok well its your room and if its not the attic above it will not be as messy, don't forget to use fire proof plaster board and sound proofing.

"by the time I cut all the holes to allow me to support the beams (its a large area) from the joists"

What size area you talking? Most rooms will not need additional support from the joists above if the walls are brick or concrete or solid enough to take the weight of the new ceiling. Why the need to make holes to add additional support from the joists above? Just screw some timbers through the existing to the joists (at right angles) and use this to give extra support the new ceiling (if for example the room is very large or you want to use smaller timbers for the new ceiling).

Making some holes in the ceiling will NOT be as much hassle as taking the lot down in any case. If you don't have any decorative cornicing it could be overboarded but it will only be as level as the existing ceiling. You will need to mark out the old joists in any case (except for ceiling fully supported from the walls). An old screwdriver (or a drill) and a chalk line can be used for this (locate joists each end and chalk-line).

If you have the height don't bother taking the old ceiling down, just put a new one in below it.

how will i be able to work out where the joists are? its about 4mx4m square. and what if the ceiling falls down on a new one installed underneath?

If you keep pushing an old thin screwdriver/bradawl through the ceiling you will eventually hit a joist, and then you will probably find they are spaced every 16" or so. If you go down putting a false ceiling in then screw a baton across the middle of your old ceiling if you are worried about it falling down.

how will i be able to work out where the joists are?
by making a few investigatory holes or cuts. 4mm cheap hss bit in a battery drill will do it

Joist run perpendicular to floorboards and are usually pretty equally spaced

You'll know if you've screwed a timber to a joist as it will go tight and pull in to the timber, the screw will likely spin if you've missed.

its about 4mx4m square.
You don't need to fix to the ceiling then if using decent timbers, unless you want extra support, just fix timbers around the room at the required height and hang mini joists across. Noggins will make it solid.

what if the ceiling falls down on a new one installed underneath?

What if you get run over by a bus tomorrow? Are you replacing the ceiling because the old one is in imminent danger of falling down? A new pb ceiling properly installed will take a bit of fallen plaster (although you say it has been oversheeted - the sheet will rest on your new joists if it were to come away. For water damage, there is insurance. If the ceiling is "bowed all over the place" then it is probably the joists that are bowed and taking the old ceiling down won't change that. Removing lath & plaster ceilings is not pleasant as others have said.

The only disadvantage is the loss of height.

tbh if you're asking these questions, I would ask whether DIY is the best option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back