Laying new water supply pipework

Ground above is driveway and the pipe will run into the garage so no issues with water in the event of a failure.

Sponsored Links
So i got the trench dug today. I just need o hand dig the last 1ft to the meter tomorrow. A few questions if i may.

1) I am going to lay the new pipe within 110mm soil pipe. Does the soil need to be bedded on anything or just laid and backfilled?
2) Does anyone know the fitting required to connect a 32mm pipe to a recently installed Thames Water stop cock/meter
3) How much do TW charge to do the connection and is it worth it?

1) Treat it like any other 110mm pipe- pea shingle if you've got it as bed & cover then marker tape then backfill then more tape etc etc. The pea shingle isn't essential (obvs ) but it does ensure even support to the pipe and to the backfill. If you have surplus topsoil that would do but tread it down once you've covered the pipe. Big lumps of clay & rock not a good idea round the pipe- you'll get voids which may settle later & cause problems.
2) No idea, maybe something like this https://www.toolstation.com/mdpe-male-bsp-adaptor/p31026,
3) No idea, up here if the scheme is getting rid of lead they do the connection for free

Sponsored Links
The larger the bore the more the flow and pressure is kept up. Also do the same inside the house (not 32mm of course).

So the fact it comes out in 25 doesnt matter if it then goes back up to 32 the 25 does restrict it to no more than25

It does matter. If I have have a 15mm pipe delivering 15 litre/min at 1.5 bar at the stoptap. If my aim is to maintain that 15 l/min and 1.5 bar as much as possible throughout the house, having a 15mm pipe snaking all though the house with all sanitary appliances, and combi, teed off it, will not do it. Having a larger bore pipe from a full bore stoptap split into separate legs will - length, resistance, pressure drop, divide and rule, etc. ;)

Forget what the size of the pipe is coming in. The idea is to keep resistance down and flow & pressure up on your side. Then size and design the water pipe legs to suit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

I have found the meter box and pipe. There is a circa 300mm length of 25mm plastic from the meter connecting to the lead as picture below. The connector is give or take on the boundary line.

So is it ok lay my new 32mm pipe and then swap the 25mm>lead connector for a 25mm>32mm. Then at the other end stick a 32mm/15mm stopcock to connect back into the household cold feed in the garage. When the internal plumbing gets replaced later in the year the stopcock can then be replaced with a 32>22mm/28mm once the plumber knows what is needed?

One other thing, the meter box in the street has sunk a bit which pools water. Is it ok just to jack it back up with a bar and pack out below then type 2 back to the boundary line.

Water 1.jpg

So is it ok lay my new 32mm pipe and then swap the 25mm>lead connector for a 25mm>32mm. Then at the other end stick a 32mm/15mm stopcock to connect back into the household cold feed in the garage. When the internal plumbing gets replaced later in the year the stopcock can then be replaced with a 32>22mm/28mm once the plumber knows what is needed?

Yes, that's ok.

Yep jack it up while at this stage, provided it can be. They will not know. You may want to make good the pavement around the box - it is you who walks on it suffering if not right. Get them to do it? Forget it. You will wait and wait.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t jack it up, I would just inform them that it’s sunk.

If you get a 25-32mm Plasson fitting you can use their white nut and it will make your connection easier.

Is it ok just to jack it back up with a bar and pack out below then type 2 back to the boundary line.

Probably best to leave that to the Water Company to deal with. Jacking it up might cause the joint on the other side of the meter to fail and burst. If the Water Company do it they sort out the mess and costs. If you do it the the Water Company still have to sort out the mess but you then sort out their costs.

When a similar situation occurred near here the Water Company simply added another ring to the top of the meter chamber.

Last edited:
Under the National Roads and Streetworks Act, (NRSWA), Utility Companies 'own' their reinstatements. Given that the meter box is in the Public Highway, it is the Water Co's property and responsibility, and the reinstatement has failed, let them deal with it.

As said, if you attempt to alter it and it then gets damaged, or someone trips over it and sues, you may be billed for any remedial works/losses incurred. I'd leave well alone, just make sure your backfill is consolidated correctly, so they cant blame you for undermining the pavement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back