Laying new water supply pipework

I actually tried to get the blue duct pipe as suggested but couldnt find anywhere locally that stocked it and online i could only find people that wanted crazy (£40) delivery charges. I had a few lengths of soil pipe in the garden doing nothing so it was a way forward. Granted its not the water duct pipe but the soil will allow a new pipe to be pulled on the extremely off chance it is ever needed. Most people just bury the pipe in the ground. .

Sponsored Links
i could only find people that wanted crazy (£40) delivery charges.

Sorry, that's no excuse, either do it right or not at all. I once came across a BT duct with an electric cable in it and it wasn't a happy experience.

You've came for advise but what you have done isn't right at all.

It's slightly different from containing an electric cable which can obviously have serious consequences.

Given that the blue duct is hard to come by I would guess that very few people use it (even if it is the best option). Anyway sorry to have caused upset. The new pipe works a treat none the less.

Given that the blue duct is hard to come by I would guess that very few people use it

Very few I would imagine. You don't need a duct at all as you have said, but if a job is worth doing then do it right!

Sponsored Links
If the blue water pipe in future fails, the whole drive does not need re-digging if it is in the 110mm soil pipe - a conduit. He did mention that. A new pipe can be fed through the conduit.
Also the pipe is protected from hard stones, bricks, etc. It can also expand and contract with ease. If the ground subsides the blue pipe has movement as there is only air around it.

Last edited:
If you have enough blue pipe left over, lay that in the trench in case, with caps on the end.
Or connect it up at both ends using tees. I did that for a friend using 25mm pipe. From the pavement to the house is two 25mm pipes. If one fails it is a matter of disconnecting it at both ends. Also his water flowrate is superb, which was the prime reason of doing it as the length is quite long.

Last edited:
I saw these yesterday and thought of your job:

2F515375-2300-45DD-B616-AB496DC6FA35.jpeg

E86A93F6-244C-4549-8DBE-CDF19B28A47D.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back