LCD TV in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been bought a 15" LCD TV and would like to wall-mount it in the bathroom.

Now I know TVs in the bathroom would normally set alarm bells ringing and get the resounding answer "NO!", but......

This one is obviously not a CRT so no huge voltages inside. Also, it's not directly 230v powered. It runs on 12vDC via a "wall-wart" transformer.

So as long as it's plugged in outside the bathroom (easy as I have a socket in the hall directly on the other side of the wall), will this be OK?

Zone 3, by the way.

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
This one is obviously not a CRT so no huge voltages inside

You get reasonably high voltages in LCD kit as well ;) less dangerous than CRT though :) , but dont be deluded into thinking there is nothing over 12v in there

And yes, I can't see what is wrong with what you propose though steam might possibly cause premature failure of the tv set

why would you want a TV in the bathroom anyway? bathrooms are for getting clean in, lounges are for watching television :LOL:

I have seen LCD TVs mounted 'in' the bathroom of some posh houses, but these were mounted behind a glass panel in the tilingso the TV was sealed from water and steam, and effectively outside the bathroom. These TVs were designed for the purpose and were supplied with a submersible remote control :eek:

Sponsored Links
I a nutshell.
Unless the manufacturer has specificaly said it can go in a bathroom or it has been sufficiently engineered when instaling by someone who is competent to do this as at best it might not do the TV much good or worse still it might not do you much good.
Even 12 volt unless it is SELV might not be "Safe"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back