Lead flashing or rubber boot for SS chimney exit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The twit who fitted our wood burning stove cut the rubber boot too slack, so there is a few mm gap round it and rain comes down the side and into the house.

I've asked the roofer who is working on the house to change it for a new one. He has suggested he could make up a lead flashing kit instead which turns out to be slightly cheaper (the rubber kit is £92 and the lead kit £70).

With the lead they will weld it to the metal of the chimney he says, to seal it. He seems to think the lead is a better bet, but I just wanted to check whether it is better practice to use rubber so the twin-wall can be removed/disassembled if necessary at a future date? Or is this not something to be concerned about?

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
I dont see how he is going to weld to stainless steel!

Lead is generally better as it lasts for 100s of years.

I wonder if he is going to fabricate it himself from lead sheet.

There are ready made sealing units called "lead slates" which have a flexible rubber seal to fit tightly to the flue. The rubber is bonded to the lead.

In most cases its possible to fill smaller gaps up to about 6 mm using the black roofing sealant which comes in tubes and remains flexible to form a good waterproof seal.

Tony

I dont see how he is going to weld to stainless steel!

Looks like you're right! I had misunderstood him. The lead is welded into a shape so it forms a sleeve round the chimney, then he'll use lead sealant to make a seal between that and the SS.

I suppose fabricating it himself will be a bit more paid work for him and good fun too.

But it will be difficult ( impossible ? ) to remove and I would always recommend the "lead slate" as the rubber part has sufficient movement to enable the flue to be removed easily.

Tony

images

Sponsored Links
Oh. Hmm, I think he has ordered the lead to be made up now... I suppose I could try and get him to cancel it. Hmm.

If I wanted to remove the lead later couldn't we just break the seal and lift the lead over the top of the chimney again, the same way he got it on?

The mastic sealant gets very hard and almost impossible to remove after a few years!

Certainly the lead can be cut though.

Good job, is the flue the correct distance from any flammable material

Good job, is the flue the correct distance from any flammable material

I certainly hope so. I got the official building regs form thingy when he installed the stove. Is there something in the photo that makes you doubt it?

No, just that the flue can get pretty hot, and I would have expected to see a red slate suitable for high temperatures.

No, just that the flue can get pretty hot, and I would have expected to see a red slate suitable for high temperatures.

I'm not sure. The roof is newer than the stove/chimney. I assume the roofer would have put the correct stuff up... could you explain a bit more about where this red slate would be seen? Isn't the slate the bit on the slope of the roof, underneath the lead?

OMG is this never ending :unsure:

The roofer suggested the lead and I had no idea I should be worrying about this.

The flue is twin-walled and has travelled at least 4 metres from the fire by the time it reaches the roof (the stove is on the ground floor and there are a couple of 45 degree bends in there too).

Personally I would be pretty surprised if it got hot enough to melt the lead but I suppose the principle of these things it to always have a wide safety margin.

Looks like lead melts at around 300 celsius? I really can't see it getting that hot on the outside of the roof, through twin-wall insulated flue. Presumably in the winter, when we're likely to be using the fire a lot, the outside air would help cool it too... but I'm definitely not qualified to judge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back