Leak after combi boiler installed... Part 2!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story short, recently had combi boiler installed replacing water tank boiler.

The guys had to fit new valve in toilet when that leaked on day one of installation.

After they went I noticed that the cupboard which had water tank in was damp. Turned out that the shower was leaking into the wall so they came back and installed new cartridge and re-plumbed the bath taps.

That was on Friday.

I started to smell a musty smell and assumes that was a sign of things drying.

Looked in there yesterday and it seemed a little damp and there were signs of water along skirting. Wiped it all down and lined with paper.

Did the usual I.e. bath/shower and washing up and checked on it this morning.

It's wet!!!

I also noticed that the shower cartridge hasn't been put in - the temperature settings don't match up to marking. They did before. Would this cause it or is there something else?

I can hear a drip coming from behind the wall which I am assuming is under the bath...

Any ideas?

Will I be charged again ?

Sponsored Links
Alas, the comedians return.....its almost impossible to install a shower cartridge incorrectly, unless they've split an 'o' ring or something......my guess is that they've disturbed something behind the shower.
They must return to investigate this.
John :)

Sponsored Links
There is always a high risk of something leaking, hoses splitting etc, when you change over from low to high pressure. There should be a disclaimer in their T&Cs.

Of course if it's bad workmanship then that's another story.

There is always a high risk of something leaking, hoses splitting etc, when you change over from low to high pressure. There should be a disclaimer in their T&Cs.

Of course if it's bad workmanship then that's another story.

Yes well the cartridge installation is clearly wrong. I know nothing about plumbing but even I could see that. As for the leak they did say that they solved the problem.

Starting to wish I just had the old boiler fixed rather than replacing now :(

I'm sure it will be a great move once the teething problems are sorted.

Just as above changing to high pressure can cause problems that cost, rather than blaim.

For example my washing machine hoses (both old) split and flooded the kitchen about 5mins after the water was turned on.

A faulty fitted cartridge is the plumbers problem.

I'm sure it will be a great move once the teething problems are sorted.

Just as above changing to high pressure can cause problems that cost, rather than blaim.

For example my washing machine hoses (both old) split and flooded the kitchen about 5mins after the water was turned on.

A faulty fitted cartridge is the plumbers problem.

I hope I don't regret it!

Leaks are such a nuisance. Such a mess!

In a weird way, I am hoping that the leak is coming from the same source as before, rather than a new one! The thought of new leaks appearing left, right, and centre is too much for my brain to cope with right now!!

It's hard to work out what is causing it. There are no visible signs of leaks from pipes actually in the cupboard. I can hear a faint occasional drip from behind the wall (assuming this is the bathroom). I'm wondering if the shower unit is still leaking and dripping down the wall.

I felt all around the waste pipes and pipes in the cupboard and they all felt dry. Also the wall is damp from where the shower unit goes through the wall and obviously the floor is wet.

Silly me really should have checked before I went to bed. Wondering if my shower was what made it worse.... I am assuming if the O-ring in the shower needs replacing there will be a consistent but slow leak?

unless waters ****ing out the front then cartridge is probably installed correctly as its pretty hard to do it wrong,sounds like they haven't refitted the temperature lever/stop in right position on front, simple to fix remove a scew and refit.
Good chance the leak has lot more to do with switch over to mains than the plumbers.

unless waters p******g out the front then cartridge is probably installed correctly as its pretty hard to do it wrong,sounds like they haven't refitted the temperature lever/stop in right position on front, simple to fix remove a scew and refit.
Good chance the leak has lot more to do with switch over to mains than the plumbers.

Update on this was the mixer pipe that was embedded in the wall was leaking. He said that if I have a new body put on the shower then this will short out the leak... but also recommended changing the shower to a surface mounted unit so any leaks will be in the bathroom rather than in the wall.

Still deciding what to do as surface mounted will mean destroying tiles and I'm not ready to do the bathroom yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back