Leaking Combi System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brand new combi system installed in bungalow, Baxi 105e Instant installed in the loft and all new pipe work and radiators. I am experiencing two problems. The first is pressure loss. Setting the pressure when the system is cold to 1 bar it takes between 4 to 5 weeks for the pressure to drop and boiler stops working. I have the installer come back and have a look and he cannot find any leaks and I have had baxi look at the boiler and they stated that
"the appliance was working perfectly". I have also had a look myself and have put old wall paper (white side up) under all the pipes hoping to spot the leak by a water stain but cannot find anything. So anything else I can do ?
Second question, (may be related to the water loss) noise, the system is extremly noisy especially in the room under where the boiler is installed,
you get a thrumming/drumming sound from the pipes. How can I quite this noise down as it really does get on your nerves.

cheers

Sponsored Links
change the boiler or wear ear defenders,better still get the installer back
1 to find the leak
2 adjust the nec components[pipework,pump,abv] these all sound like installation faults. :rolleyes:

Not the reply I had been looking for.
The installer has been back three/four times now and is perplexed that he cannot find any sign of a leak. He did suggest putting leak sealer in but then said it would be better to keep looking.

On the noise problem he has again looked at his work and said that he does not think its any more noisy than similar installations with a boiler in the loft that he has done. He thinks that the noise is the same as a kitchen install its just the fact that the pipe work in kitchen goes down behind units and into the floor so any noise is masked. Of course with the pipes running across the ceiling joist the noise is amplified.

If as bripl says its "installation faults" then what is correct installation of pipe work in loft spaces?

What I have is simple, the combi on the external wall with the 22mm pipes exiting the boiler and dropping about 2 feet before running across the ceiling joists for about 4 ft then a couple of air vents at the point where the pipes drop down through a cupboard and go under the floor.

Would replacement of the 22mm copper with plastic quiten it down?

cheers

Can't use plastic within 1m of a boiler;
Check for wetness signs under the pressure relief pipe , and around rad valve stems. Leak sealer seems to work.
Also check the auto air vent (back of the pump) isn't wet on top.

Sponsored Links
Check your vent caps at each side of rad.
I had to tighten nearly all a couple of weeks ago for somebody who had just had a brand new system installed.
A small leak from each was enough to stop the system working due to lack of pressure. :D

New rads, new pipework, new combi? - surely the system should have been dry pressure tested before commissioning :eek:

Hello, I had a busy weekend, first checked the auto air vent on the pump and the air vents on the pipes> dry as old bones.
Then went round the rads and checked the air vent bolts for tighness, all ok.
Lastly got hold of a long thick plastic bag (so hot water would not just melt it) and attached it to the pressure relief pipe > so far its dry.

On the question of are there enough pipe clips, the pipes cross about 4 joists and there is one on each joist so I would guess this is enough.

I am getting desperate now and thinking of going with
1.leak sealer for the leak and
2. for the noise try to fit flooring grade chipboard between the joists which I am hoping will fix the prob.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back