Leaking WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In downstairs WC there is a leak at the point where the pan joins the outlet pipe . I assume that some internal seal has failed.
How do I go about replacing it ?

Sponsored Links
do you mean where the pan joins into the stack/soil pipe via the pan connector?? if so, just buy a new pan connector to the required size/angle and replace it. there should be no more leaks if it's pushed in correctly.

HI

if the pan connector is straight sometimes by simply turning the connector stops any small leaks
half a turn

pan connector's usually just push on (like a push-fit joint)! Never heard of turning them before. But try it anyway and tell us if it's worked??

Sponsored Links
LUNAT: The pan connector is slightly angled and consequently cannot be turned.

stevehayes: The answer to your question is yes ! As regards replacing the pan connector I'm happy to take this on but how is the old one removed and new one fitted? Do I have to move/disconnect the pan and/or the soil pipe?

Yes, you will have to move the pan away from the soil stack to break the pushfit connection. This usually means disconnecting the water inlet to the cistern, and the overflow connection if present, as well as unscrewing the cistern fixings (if present) from the wall. Any screws securing the foot of the pan to the floor will also have to be removed. (Hopefully your wc has not been set on mortar to the floor!) If you're careful you won't have to disconnect the cistern from the pan.

After all this, pull the connector from the pan 'outgo', clean the outside of the outgo thoroughly, smear some silicone lubricant onto the new pan connector seals, and reassemble everything. Test for leaks.

Nothing to it really!

Good luck

Big Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back