Lean to extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

First of all, hello to the forum!

I am speccing out an extension, and would appreciate comments if anyone cares to make any.

This is the plan so far! The sketch shows the structure I have in mind, but it may well not be the best approach.

leanto2.jpg

To give you an idea of the weight, the roof will be polycarbonate, the walls will be studwork with shiplap cladding, with a plasterboard interior. I will probably insulate with those rigid panels.

In the drawing, the posts are 10x10, and the rafters/ledger boards are 12x5 - I'm not sure what the best dimensions would be

Expansion bolts for the 5 timbers attaching directly to the house. Not sure what size M8? Is it recommended to bolt directly to the house?

The rest will be secured with angle brackets and joist hangers.

I'm hoping I won't need any footings. The floor is decking, which I think has concrete under it, but maybe just joists. Do you think I will need to anchor the short posts in concrete?

I'm not sure if 3 x ~54cm centres is right. I've read you can have up to 70cm with polycarbonate, but I've also seen 40cm max recommended.

I'm thinking of 24mm polycarbonate for better insulation. Not sure if I will need a purlin half way down the rafters or is a 3.6m projection ok?

Thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back