Leave system drained?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm replacing the radiator in the bathroom, I have removed the old one so I can remove the tiles (I'm putting new tiles in as well).
I think when I removed the old rad, although I was grabbing the valve with pliers, the valve moved on the pipe and now it is leaking from the compression fitting (it can spin a bit on the pipe if that makes sense).
Anyway it's leaking so I need to drain the system I think so I can stop it , the question is as I'm getting a new radiator fitted in about a week (a towel radiator that will be coming out of the wall) so it will need to be drained again so he can do the pipe work shall I leave the system drained or stop the pipe that is leaking then fill the system again?
Also how is best to stop the pipe leaking? Iwas going to put on a new olive then the old valve.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try gripping the valve with one spanner/adjustable and nip up the nut a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. This should sort it. Otherwise, drain, replace olive, wrap a bit of ptfe around it to be sure and refit

Thankyou
I've tried and can't tighten it any more unfortunately, after I have drained it and replaced the valve should I then fill up the system given that the plumber is going to have to change the pipes and put a different valve on for the new radiator in a bout a week?

Sponsored Links
Plumber will probably plug the feed & expansion tank in the loft (If you have one) rather than draining the whole system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back