LED downlights within Celotex insulation

I've stayed in a couple of hotels with similar arrangements. In one case I changed rooms, in the other I refused (successfully) to pay.

Sponsored Links
I thought they would be nice if used sparingly e.g along built in wardrobes and the wall that will have tv or accent wall etc. What do you think?

I think you should rig up a temporary installation before you commit to a final design, and see if you enjoy having your eyeballs boiled when you lie in bed.

Thanks for the response. I have clearance above the insulation; it's the roof space.
Then you could build something over the lights to provide clearance and seal it to the ceiling.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

Presumably the vapour barrier will be compromised as soon as I cut the bottom side of the insulation?
Yes, hence the sealing of the enclosure.

As well as risking damage to the roof timbers, gaps which let warm moist air into the roof space will allow cold air to fall into the bedroom. So you'd have unpleasant draughts to add to the eyeball-boiling.

Sponsored Links
Also, I've noticed that there are fireproof led's which I assume will not require the cap.
Fire resistant fittings are designed so that when your bedroom is on fire and filled with massive flames, the flames won't go through the lights into the space above, or at least not for a certain amount of time.
They still require the same spacing around them to prevent overheating when in normal use.

In a typical house, fire resistant fittings are rarely required.

Thanks for al the advice guys. I am steering clear of this as I can't afford to compromise with my loft insulation. I will instead have a central light fitting in the ceiling and make provision for lamps. I think most of you will recognise this as sensible lighting in the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back