Led lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Need a bit of advise

I'm looking at putting multi coloured led lighting up for my autistic son I'm sure most have seen the light it's on a reel and is mains powered my problem is my power source is from a light ceiling rose.

Now I know it's a big no no to wire a plug socket to a lighting circuit

So can any suggest a strip light that's multi coloured and can cover 10m?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
LED power supplies that wire in directly are available, rather than the type with a plug.

A socket can be connected to a lighting circuit just as with any other type of circuit.

Get a socket which looks different to all others, red, blue, round or anything which makes it look different then fit on lighting, if no RCD on lighting then use a RCD socket. If really worried use a cover
418epgfkuql.jpg
but lets face it a socket on the ceiling you know it is special without any notice on it. The worry is a socket which is over loaded and causes the lights to fail, if this is unlikely then just fit it.

Sponsored Links
So what was not useful? It is NOT advisable to put a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit. Even the OP said: "Now I know it's a big no no to wire a plug socket to a lighting circuit".

Patters,
You asked for a "LED strip light that's multi coloured and can cover 10m" and that can wire into a "light ceiling rose".

I am presuming that your issue is that the device you are looking at has a 240V to 12V converter that has a plug on it (a wall wort), and hence this will not go into your light ceiling rose.

So my first suggestion is that you get a 240V to 12V converter that is inline, i.e. there is a plug, a length of cable, the 240V to 12V converter, a length of cable, strip of LED lights.
Plug this into one of your wall sockets, get a length of extension wire for the 12V side, and route it up the wall to the strip of LED lights you have glued to the ceiling. As long as this length of extension wire for the 12V side is not too long then any voltage drop will not effect the brightness of the LEDs.

So my second suggestion is that you get a 240V to 12V converter that is inline, i.e. there is a plug, a length of cable, the 240V to 12V converter, a length of cable, strip of LED lights.
Cut off the 240V plug, so you have a length of wire on the 240V side, and wire this into the ceiling rose. You will then have to make an (unsightly) clamp or box on the ceiling to hold the 240V to 12V converter. Wire the 12V side of the 240V to 12V converter to the strip of LED lights you have glued to the ceiling.

As you want changing lights to make a pattern, get a remote control for the strip of LED lights.
Not a recommendation, simply the first set that came up, but I would suggest something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071F6Z...1501507529&sr=8-1&keywords=led+strip+coloured
or this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Waterp...1501507529&sr=8-6&keywords=led+strip+coloured
from this page
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/259-5939143-7087362?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=led+strip+coloured

And regarding your LED strip, extension leads and connectors (IF you get a RGB version) are here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TRS0&_nkw=RGB+led+lights+connectors&_sacat=0

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It is NOT advisable to put a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit.

The is nothing wrong with fitting a 13 amp type of socket onto a circuit that is protected by MCB or fuse rated at less than 13 amps. Hence a 13 amp type of socket can be fitted to a correctly installed lighting circuit with 6 amp protection.

It is advisable to ensure that the socket on a lighting circuit is not used for appliances with current draw higher that the protection otherwise nuisance tripping will occur.

Since a lot of equipment is supplied from "plug top" power modules that using a 13 amp style socket is un-avoidable in many situations. Many of these devices have no effective internal fusing and hence fault currents when the module fails are limited only by the MCB until the module self destructs itself by fire. 6 amps MCB would be better than a 32 amp MCB for these devices. Even better would be the socket supplied from an FCU with a 1 amp fuse.

It is advisable to ensure that the socket on a lighting circuit is not used for appliances with current draw higher that the protection otherwise nuisance tripping will occur.

Exactly. But it will happen, so that is why it is not good practice to put a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit whether the reg (currently) allow it or not.

Electronic SMPS have overload protection as well.
Over load protection is NOT the same as fault current limitation

Do you have a source for this?

Have seen several burnt out modules. Last one was the electrolytic capacitor ( 350 volts DC from the bridge rectifier fed directly from the mains ) had exploded filling the case with metallic foil which then shorted the mains and burnt until the case melted and fell away leaving the pins in the socket, live and exposed.

Reports of many other devices failing dramatically without tripping any protective device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back