Led lights

Sponsored Links
I have a source that says it IS allowed to have a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit. We've already put that one to bed, or have you conveniently forgotten?
As a result of pressure, he now seems to be acknowledging that it is allowed, but persists in expressing his opinion that it is "not advisable" and "bad practice" - presumably views not shared by the authors of BS7671.

He's obviously free to have whatever opinions he wishes, but I do think he should stop expressing them (at least, until 'taken to task') in a fashion which implies, to those who do not know better, that they are regulatory requirements.

Kind Regards, John

As a result of pressure, he now seems to be acknowledging that it is allowed, but persists in expressing his opinion that it is "not advisable" and "bad practice" - presumably views not shared by the authors of BS7671.

He's obviously free to have whatever opinions he wishes, but I do think he should stop expressing them (at least, until 'taken to task') in a fashion which implies, to those who do not know better, that they are regulatory requirements.

Kind Regards, John

I never said that they are regulatory requirements. I just said that in my opinion it was bad practice and I stated the reasons why.

I never said that they are regulatory requirements. I just said that in my opinion it was bad practice and I stated the reasons why.
You've only started saying that it was just your opinion since people interacted with you about your statements. Your first statement on the matter could easily be taken to be expressing a widely-held (or even universally-held) view ...
Yes, but not advisable.
In other threads, you have often made even more 'negative' statements than that - for example saying that it "should not" be done.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do YOU have a source for THIS?
No you don't

As I said it is my opinion and seems to be the opinion of the OP who said: "Now I know it's a big no no to wire a plug socket to a lighting circuit"

He was asking for alternatives to doing what was in his opinion (and mine) a big no no.

He got the answer in the next post: "LED power supplies that wire in directly are available, rather than the type with a plug."

So why are we arguing about a difference of opinion?

Because the OP is a Diyer. He has come here asking for "advise" from what (he hopes) will be learned opinion.
Not someone's random beliefs.

He is not correct in his assumption that wiring a "plug socket" on to a lighting circuit is a no-no.
It is permitted by the Wiring Regulations, and it is irresponsible of you to perpetrate the urban myth that it is not allowed.
I know it is not within you to step back, or admit that you are wrong. Even when it had been proven to you, even then you keep in with same old song. Over and over again.

So, you are going to get shot at, every time you poke your head above the parapet.

But that is NOT what I did. I said that in MY opinion it was bad practice. I never said it was not allowed.
As I said, you only started mentioning that is was just 'your opinion' after various people challenged you. Prior to that, I saw no reference to it just being a personal opinion...
Yes, but not advisable.
... It is NOT advisable to put a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit. ...
Exactly. But it will happen, so that is why it is not good practice to put a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit ....

Kind Regards, John

I'm NOT doing that.
You are - you are telling them that it is not advisable.

That is untrue.

We all understand that you don't like it, you may wish it were otherwise, you may look forward to a change which forbids it, but right now it is something which people can be advised to do.

Stop telling people things which are untrue.

You are - you are telling them that it is not advisable.

That is untrue.

We all understand that you don't like it, you may wish it were otherwise, you may look forward to a change which forbids it, but right now it is something which people can be advised to do.

Stop telling people things which are untrue.

Once again, you have a difference of opinion which you are not prepared to admit.

There are other things that are bad practice but not forbidden. For instance putting 2 13 amp sockets very near one end or a ring final and fully loading both at 13 amps is not forbidden. But I would not advise doing it because it is not forbidden in the regs. I would advise it was bad practice. BAS, on the other hand would presumably advise it was something that you could do.

It is, 433.1.103 in the BGB.
I guess that's 433.1.1 in the BYB?

If so, and although I'm generally very much on your side in this discussion, it is obviously impossible for a designer to guarantee that the load current cannot exceed the In of the OPD and/or the CCC of the cable in the case of a sockets circuit, since the in-service load current cannot be known to anyone without a good quality crystal ball. In other words, the designer does not really know what the 'design current' of the circuit will, in practice, actually be. He/she can guess, but cannot be certain.

Kind Regards, John

He/she can guess, but cannot be certain.
Of course. He should make an educated guess as to the likely use - that's what designers are supposed to do. For example, a row of twin 13A socket-outlets directly under the CU in a utility room likely to contain a WM and TD would not be likely to conform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back