light fitting

Sponsored Links
ahh ok i was wondering if they would be heavy are if i would have to use like a wire holding it to the top ceiling. also there for a hair salon over where they cut hair would they give off the light they need are do you recommend any thing thanx

I'm not an electrician but looked at this when setting out my veterinary practice.

The following is taken from a government website and gives suggested levels.

Lighting Levels in Lux
Type of Visual Task
Examples of Areas

No real detail - seeing to avoid obstacles only
Service ducts

Low levels of detail - seeing to avoid tripping or to differentiate between different packages
Stores and low-use corridors

Some detail - seeing to read package labels and to manoeuvre pedestrian-operated trucks
Loading bays and most normal-use corridors

Medium detail - seeing to read large dials or reasonably sized print
Circulation areas, normally unoccupied plant rooms

Medium detail on a regular basis - seeing to write notes or to undertake light maintenance work
Lecture theatres, light carpentry (sawing and assembly)

Some detail regularly with some colour judgement - seeing to read and write continually
General offices, light engineering areas (not machinery) and kitchens

High detail - seeing to work with small parts or where there is low contrast
Drawing offices and sign painting

Very high detail - seeing to discern very small or intricate items or where accurate colour judgement is needed
Electronic maintenance, small component assembly and tool rooms

Extremely fine detail and colour accuracy - seeing to spot small errors in printing or artwork; lighting of this level can cause fatigue after a relatively short time
Print-checking stations and hand tailoring

In the end we reckon we wanted 750-1000 lux.

The fitting or tube manufacture should give you some idea of lux level for a given ceiling height. Factor in the brightness and reflectiveness of ceiling, floor and wallcoverings

We have the standard 1200 4 tube suspended ceiling luminaire and have 4 of them, i.e. 16 tubes in a 12x10 consulting room and it's nice and bright even when dark outside and clients often comment they had not noticed something obvious to the eye in the shadow free light of our set up.

We can turn two off giving 8 tubes and that's fine for reading / PC usage.

I hope this helps gives you some help and you can always add more luminaires, if you're disappointed.

Sponsored Links
As others have said, they just drop into the ceiling

The modern HF ones have no weight to them at all (well almost!) the older ones weighed a little more, but still not much.

The ceiling grid is well supported to keep it straight and level by a tie wire every few tiles, this is more than enough support for the fittings

For a salon, I would get either, prismatic or low reflection louvres. You will most probably find them with cat 2 louvres which are for offices and screens, We have them with prismatic louvres in our canteens and locker rooms and they give a hard wearing, easily maintained, well distributed light source.

As Adam said, they weigh next to nothing and just rest in place, they are the easiest thing to fit, just be aware of the low reflection or cat 2 louvres as they can fall out but new ones should have strings to hold them from falling should they come loose from the ceiling grid. Once you get them, you will see how they work :)

The best thing about them is that if one fails in 2 years time, the replacement, regardless of manufacturer will look identical to the original.

thanks for all the info guys very helpful i will also ask at the wholesalers if they have anything better aswel as its a salon she wants that kind of fitting but really moden ones that lights up the area on each hair deck if you have anymore more info are ideas i would like to hear from you cheers

The modern ones use reflected light.

This is where you cant actually see the tube at all, it shines light at the fitting and reflects it downwards.

Its hard to explain. I'll find a link to a fitting.

TLG_MNLO_F_SCL.jpg

They are available in a few different configurations including ones with an integral emergency pack.

TLG_INQO_F_01.jpg

This one combines reflected light with a standard downwards light. You can get some super efficient fittings these days too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back