Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of changing a light fitting. All of the three cables in the new fitting have clear sheaths - not blue, brown and yellow / green. There were labels sticky labels on each of the cables - unforunately they came off as I was preparing the cable. How can I find out which is live etc. What will happen if I connect them into the wrong connectors from the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
The earth should be apparent, as for line and neutral, this should not really be an issue unless the fitting takes eddison screw lamps.

Do you have a multi meter?
Is the fitting plastic or metal?
Are there instruction or other markings that can identify the terminal connections?
Can you upload a picture of the terminal connections/cables?

If the new light fitting is metal and does not have its earth wire clearly and permanently marked as earth then almost certainly the fitting does not comply with the minimum safety requirements of the UK.

If you connect the earth wire to life and the fitting is metal it will make the light fitting very dangerous to touch. And it won't work.

A picture might help to provide more advice.

Sponsored Links
Is the sheathing material Teflon or silicone to stop heat damage?
Is the light fitting CE marked?

Can you post up a picture of the fitting and the terminals?

I know the sort of thing - it's becoming ijncreasingly common for light fittings to appear with this wiring, particularly (but not exclusively) from Ikea. There is actually a very thin hread in each transparent wire - blue, brown and yellow. Unfortunately (as I found out the hard way) the brown can be quite light and the yellow quite dark, leading to confusion. And if your eyes aren't the best and the lighting not the best, it's easy to miss that thin thread of colour.

AS Prenticeboy mentioned, a meter is the best tool here. Before putting the fitting on the ceiling, fit a light bulb in one of the lampholders - you now have a completed circuit. Put the meter on the bare ends of wires - two of them will make a circuit. These are the live and neutral, the other one is the earth. Now put some coloured tape on each wire so you can remember which is which, and write s trongly-worded letter to the numpty manufacturer who made and sold this s**t.

PJ

Sounds like the clear 3 core they use on some lights now, strip off the ends and splay out the cores, the earth should have a fine strand of green cotton in with the conductors. The stuff is a pain but looks pretty, I suggest wrapping brown, blue and green/yel tape around as appropriate for future reference.

Is this an edison screw (screw in) fitting?

If so, live goes to the centre contact, neutral to the outside contact.

Earth to the earth terminal.

Thanks very much for your very prompt replies. I have looked closely at the cables and sure enough the thread is there - only in two though - earth and neutral. This was from John Lewis - I could understand it if it was from Ikea. I guess as tonyelectric says - it is all done for the look!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back