light switch wireing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can some1 please help im changin my light switchs in front room the old 1 has l1 l2 l1 l2 an 2 com
the new ones have l1 l2 l1 l2 but no com
i tryed to change them an put l1 l2 in on both but dint work can some1 tell me where im going wrong please

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you have bought one-way switches when you need two-way. the old ones had three terminals each and the new ones only have two.

Sponsored Links
stuartd3177

I am sorry, we aren't quite up to text speak.

Trying to help you is a lot easier if you could use some punctuation.

If you aren't sure, try this: try saying what you are typing,
and then start a new line everytime you have to draw a breath.
(you'll get a new line if you press the enter key).

OK, back to your little issue -

Please take a photo of your new switch and your old switch and post it on here. You'll find how to do it under "forum rules".

PS I trust you haven't already taken the old switch off? Or if you did, I hope you made a note of where all the wires went...

So what are the connections to the old switch?
The switch you have bought may be OK as long as there are no two way circuits.

right one wire is black am goes to l1 other is red an goes to l2 an a red 1 to com
thats 1 gang an other one is same

right one wire is black am goes to l1 other is red an goes to l2 an a red 1 to com
thats 1 gang an other one is same

You need a 2-way switch then. It sounds like one of the gangs is controlled from another location as well as this switch. A 2-way switch will have capacity for this.

But as you are fitting dimmers, make sure the dimmer doesn't need a slave or retractive switch at the other end.

When looking at your new switch, it DOES have a COM, but its labelled L1. And L1 is labelled L2. Confused? ;) You're not the only one. Com can have a few different notations. C, ~, ~ with a line through it, L, Common, Live to name but a few.

i am really sorry about this
in my living room i have two lights an two double light switches
the new light switchs i got as told by steve are 1 way two gang switches
but can be used as a 1 way 1 gang switch
so it says on box
could i use them like this an how would i wire them up
i hope you know what i mean really sorry if you don't

You have two lights, each are controlled by two switches yes? So four switches in total.

You CANNOT use this switch if this is the case. Each switch needs three terminals, as your old switches had.

Do you know the brand and model number of these switches? Or a photo of the box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back