Lighting- 2 way light switch connecting to two lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im struggling to get a light to work. It was a two way single light switch controlling one light but I want to switch one of the light switches to a double to control two separate lights (Garage light and office light)

The issue is I can't work out how to wire the two lights in the double switch and need some help if possible

Sponsored Links
im struggling to get the images to load the website says they are not compatible grrr

Sponsored Links
here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 23.24.06.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 23.24.06.png
    704.7 KB · Views: 111
This is the switch I want to use to control two different lights

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 23.26.56.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 23.26.56.png
    705.5 KB · Views: 107
You could have a look at this video, and the link within to give you an idea of how your existing lighting circuit works.

Thank you . Still not sure though how to get the second light working how do I get power to it

The power normally comes from the loop circuit; going from one ceiling rose to the next.

You need to take a (L & N) feed from the lighting circuit to either the switch position or you new light position, and then a cable from the switch to the light.
You can't just use the wires you have there already.

At the moment you have a single switch controlling a single light.

In the future you want another switch controlling another light. This switch will be next to the old one in the same front plate, but otherwise has nothing to do with it (switching one on has no effect on the other one).

As has been said the new light will need power to go to it and a wire to the switch to stop or allow that power to flow.

Before you do anything, make sure you know which wires do what. Are the blue, yellow and red wires going to the light fitting? Do the black and red wires go to another light that they don't control?

My guess, from the OP's first post was that the original light switch was a two-way circuit with another switch, hence the linked video.
So black and red - live and switched live to light. Blue, yellow and red - the 2 way circuit to another light switch.
But yes, make sure you know what the wires do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back