two wall lights off one feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of decorating my living room. I wish to have two wall lights above or near my sofa.
I want to power both lights from one feed so that one switch will power both lights together.
Do I put the one feed into the switch then wire the two lights from the switch? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you using 5A round pin sockets off the lighting circuits, or are you plugging into the ring mains?

If the former, wire it all up like a junction box fed circuit and parallel the sockets.

Sponsored Links
when you say plug socket, do you mean you are going to plug it in or directly wir it in?

The easiest way is obviously to plug it in, but do put a 3 amp fuse in the plug, if you were planning on wiring it in you would need 2.5 mm twin and earth cable to connect the socket to a fused spur then you you could use 1mm twin & earth cable (much easier to plug it in)

ok...so I wire into the back of the plug socket, run the wire along a chase and feed it into a fused switch, then I feed the 2 lights from the swith.
So I take it I just double the wires up inside the switch then?

First you MUST fit a fused spur with 2.5mm cable to the existing socket, you can then use 1.mm cable from there on. in the switch you connect the blacks together in a termial block and the red from the spur goes to one side of the switch and the two reds go to the other side of the switch. All earth connections are joined only to each other.

obviously uou turn the mains off first.

I did find http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/projectselectrical.htm

where the junction box is (marked as 1) that would be your socket and as i said you MUST use a spur connected by 2.5 mm cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back