Lighting attached to the outside of the house wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now, the PP doc says one special installation is "Garden Power & Lighting"

Does this mean stuff attached to the house or actually in the garden?

What does "Garden" mean in this sense?

If it puts lighting and power attached to the house but on outside walls within the scope of PP, that means even a porch light will be notifiable.

What say you?

Sponsored Links
Its rather worse than that,by covering extra low voltage too it also means that battery operated doorbells with any wiring on the outside of the door frame are part P objects too. Seems very OTT to me, and is more damning evidence of it not being about safety at all, but really stealth unionisation.
M

mapj1 said:
Its rather worse than that,by covering extra low voltage too it also means that battery operated doorbells with any wiring on the outside of the door frame are part P objects too. Seems very OTT to me, and is more damning evidence of it not being about safety at all, but really stealth unionisation.
M

Guidance to the LABC inspectors includes the need to keep a sense of proportion and apply common sense. Your battery doorbell will not come under such scrutiny, I can assure you. (Unless, of course you run your bellwire in the same enclosure as mains voltage cable without extra insulation!)

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Guidance to the LABC inspectors includes the need to keep a sense of proportion and apply common sense. Your battery doorbell will not come under such scrutiny, I can assure you. (Unless, of course you run your bellwire in the same enclosure as mains voltage cable without extra insulation!)

OK. So how about the case where there's a DIN-rail mounted bell transformer mounted within the CU, e.g. Crabtree 'Starbreaker' range? I think I know how I'd arrange it but how would you guys do it? Run the bell-wire (e.g. figure of eight) into the CU through a grommet but sleeve it within the CU? Or use sheathed two-core from the bell transformer secondary terminals, out through the grommet and change to bell-wire in a junction box somewhere downstream?

This isn't a challenge, it's a straight question; I'd just like us to compare thoughts.

And here's an afterthought; what about bonding the transformer secondary circuit?

i think i would just use mains rated wire (probablly 3A flex) for the whole run

I'd think about volt-drop, and wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the transformer nearer the door, spurred off a handy circuit, e.g. the one for the porch light....

The reason I asked this question is because there is a world of difference between "Garden" and "Outside".

Outside l means outdoors, whether attached to the house or not, Garden is more specific.

I shall ring John Piescott tomorrow.

Have just spoken to JP's minions.

Their interpretation of "Garden" is any electrical equipment fed by a cable traversing the garden - any sockets or light fittings that are attached to the exterior of the house wall and can be fed directly from the house do not fall into the category of "Garden lighting or power installations" - see Table 2.

Detatched garages, outhouses and sheds, however would be notifiable.

The ODPM geezer gave me something to think about:

He told me that each LA is free to interpret PP as they wish (rather like the regs, then!!) and their interpretation may not be the same as yours.

So, for example, if I take the ODPM's definition of garden lighting as theirs, and install lighting on the outside of the house (not notifiable), the LA could come along and argue that it is.

Hey-ho!

But I'll stick with a dictionary, and hopefully that will help me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back