Lighting in single core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago someone posted a diagram of a lighting install wired in singles with the neutrals looping from fitting to fitting and the live feed/switch live run down to the switches.

I've been trying to find it with the search facility but can't. Any ideas anyone? ;)

Sponsored Links
This is fairly easy, standard modern roses have 4 terminal blocks marked L, N, LOOP & E, your live (brown) comes in to the loop terminal, the feed to the switch (brown) and the feed to the next rose (brown) also come from this terminal. The neutral (blue) goes to the neutral terminal as does the neutral to the next rose and the fitting neutral. The switch return (blue, taped brown or brown depending on wiring system) goes to the live terminal with the live to the fitting. The earths (suitably sleeved) go together

Sponsored Links
This is the wiring method i'm looking for.

It's not that clear in the attached post but someone (Lectrician or Plugwash maybe?) recently posted a diagram with the same wiring method. It was one way switching with the switch feed & return dropped to the switch and neutral/earth looped straight from ftting to fitting.

I'm trying to find the diagram for a mate but not had much success. :cry:

This is the wiring method i'm looking for.

It's not that clear in the attached post but someone (Lectrician or Plugwash maybe?) recently posted a diagram with the same wiring method. It was one way switching with the switch feed & return dropped to the switch and neutral/earth looped straight from ftting to fitting.

I'm trying to find the diagram for a mate but not had much success. :cry:
That post has a diagram in it.... :confused: :?:

Was it something like this??
SingleCoreAndEarthLightingCct.jpg

It is recommended on this page http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cables. I am considering it as an option for a very big room with about 18 independently switched lights in (all from the same gridswitch) as it might save a bit of cable and time.
Anyone got any opinions of this method???
The wiring supposedly works like this:

the wiring works like this:
The permanent lives and switched lives of the circuit use the single core and earth cable (6241Y if you want to google it).
This run starts from the MCB and loops between the lightswitches to provide a permanent live and earth to the lightswitchs. Another length of 6241Y is then used from the lightswitch to the light fitting to provide a switched live and earth at the lightfitting.
The neutral cable is a double sheathed cable (6181Y with a blue inner sheath) that runs from the CU neutral busbar and from lightfitting to light fitting (there will only be one neutral at the end of the circuit).

The neutral cable is a double sheathed cable (6181Y with a blue inner sheath) that runs from the CU neutral busbar and from lightfitting to light fitting (there will only be one neutral at the end of the circuit).
As a matter of interest, is there a ready source of 6181Y in small CSAs - I'm not sure I've ever seen any smaller than 10mm², and even that is not common - 16mm² and 25mm², usually for meter tails and submains, are what one commonly sees.

Kind Regards, John.

Anyone got any opinions of this method???
With the conventional method, the twin cores carry energy to and from the circuit components, so the magnetic field is kept close to the wires.

In your proposal, the cores are run far apart, so you'll get stray electro magnetic fields which can induce hum in nearby wires and electronic equipment.

bongodrummer - it's been 20 months since bongos asked - I doubt that he's still waiting for an answer.

I've only ever seen the 6241Y cable on a manufacturers display board and as Stoday has stated there could be problems due to the live and neutral being separated.
Thanks. Yes, I would never contemplate that sort of wiring for the reason Stoday stated, but I was just interested to know if small CSA 6241Y actualy 'exists' or not, since it might occasionally be useful for something!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back