Lighting in three rooms with re-wire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rewire is not going to be DIY, as it needs to be completed within the same time period as building work is done, so cost is a consideration. Upstairs I am not worried about, as not used, so looking at three rooms down stairs. Kitchen, Living room, and bedroom, was what we called a sitting room, but now converted to bedroom.

Mother has age-related macular degeneration (AMD) so has very poor eyesight, so to compensate need good lighting. I don’t want dimming switches, but the idea of two or more lamps does seem a good idea. At the moment, in living room she has a raise and fall light, but she never pulls it down, and has a 10W LED bulb which is not really good enough, could easy double on that. Bed room has two lamps a central one with a soft start CFL which is stuck in the holder, and a up-lighter on the wall, with two way switching, but supply to latter is simply from a 13A plug, this has a 5W LED which is ample to see way to loo at night.

The switches for all fixed lights are in the hall, a group of 4 switches two way for stairs and on/off for hall and two rooms.

I want two way or PIR for hall, and bedroom also two way, not sure if second switch should be pull cord, or on wall near bed, that switch would need to be large.

What I am not sure about is what to do with ceiling lamps? Should I have two or three independent switched so light level can be adjusted, or keep to one central lamp. Don’t like the idea of spot lamps, although a spot lamp shining to favourite chair could be a advantage. I have talked many times about idea of 1/3 and 2/3 split, but now it comes to actually doing in not so sure.

Aim in living room is, 1) enough light so the macular degeneration does not allow the Charles Bonnet syndrome to manifest its self. 2) not too bright to hinder TV watching, 3) to assist in reading as much as possible.

In bedroom again enough light so the macular degeneration does not allow the Charles Bonnet syndrome to manifest its self. To light path to loo, and to allow selection of cloths to wear. Although she does have a 32 inch TV it is not used much so not really worried about that.

Hall want light as we enter the house, and also between rooms, there are six points of entry, kitchen, living room, loo, bedroom, stairs, and main door. However with the exception of main door there is light from the other rooms.

Kitchen the last room at moment has a class II 2D 28W lamp in centre, plus cooker hood and work top lamps. My though was to leave as it is only reason for re-wire it to provide an earth. It was lit by a fluorescent 4 foot fitting but could not find a Class II version.

Any ideas of comments please before I need to instruct an electrician as to our requirements. I am sure I will miss something but with your help it should be minor.

Sponsored Links
Just what I wanted. Seems odd knew they existed but forgot about them. Idea once back to standard room just remove switch no wires to remove.
It says the transmitter fits inside a 25mm box, I would go for at least a 35mm box though. Especially if you're not the one chopping it in!

Sponsored Links
No need for this switch to be chopped in it can be surface. Just need a large switch so my mother can find it in the dark. The existing two way is something like this
80638.jpg
easy to find in the dark could even reuse old switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back