LIGHTING LUX LEVELS FOR CAR PARK AREAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that BAS is getting miffed at so called professionals comming on to a DIY site and asking questions that they really ought to know to be doing their job that they get paid for..
What I'm getting miffed at is the OP reacting the way that he did over a civil and straightforward question.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want/need to know?

That is not "a civil and straightforward question" to someone that has asked one simple specific question that required one simple answer. Your response was aggressive, rude, irrelevant and intrusive.

Are you going to demand that every poster gives you a full explanation for the reasons behind a question?

That is not "a civil and straightforward question"
Please highlight which word, or which combination of words, from this list:
  • Why
  • do
  • you
  • want
  • need
  • to
  • know
are either uncivil or complicated.

Your response was aggressive, rude,
Such attributes are entirely your invention.

irrelevant and intrusive.
And those judgements stem from your ignorance.

Are you going to demand that every poster gives you a full explanation for the reasons behind a question?
No, but when it is relevant I will ask.

Sponsored Links
Holmslaw - if you don't want me to ask you to explain your bizarre assertions, or highlight your imagined and ignorant characterisations of my posts, you have a very simple remedy available to you.

in this instance, the motive of the asker is very much a reasonable thing to ask..
it could be a person who happens to live near a car park and wants to complain that the lights are too bright at night keeping them up
it could be a person that tripped on a car park and is seeking information with which to try and sue the local council for poor lighting levels,.
it could be a professional who has been tasked with designing the lighting installation to fulfill the legal requirements..

if it's the latter ( as is the case ) then the person in question should really have access to this knowledge without having to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum...

in this instance, the motive of the asker is very much a reasonable thing to ask.

No it isn't, it is a moronic thing to ask, the poster asked a simple question "Can anyone pleses tell me the required lighting LUX levels for car parks in the UK"

The forum nutter then tells him to "f*** off and die"

the poster asked a simple question "Can anyone pleses tell me the required lighting LUX levels for car parks in the UK"

Would you care to explain why your account omits some very salient details of what happened between those two points, or shall we all just draw our own conclusions as to your motive?

As my question was directed at BAS, are we to assume that you are his spokesperson.

No, I just happen to agree with him quite often

I've just re-read the thead

Djjeff99 asks a question which implies he may be doing things that are out of his depth (looking at his other topic I suspect he is actually at least somewhat qualified but it's quite posible that BAS never read that topic, a lot of regulars tend to come and go or only read a subset of topics)
BAS responds with a request for more information (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in such a case) but phrases it in way which is a little confrontational.

Djjeff99 makes a statement that says very little, in capitals and phrased as a question, a very confrontational post.
BAS sarcastically responds to it as if it really was a question.
Djjeff99 accuses BAS of being a "vigalante moderator" whatever the hell that is supposed to be.

After that is seems the mods got involved but I dunno exactly what they removed from who's post so I can't really comment on the rest of the thread but from what I can see it was Djjeff99 who was driving down the civility level here and other than a slightly poorly worded first reply BAS was just responding in kind.

jeez

thought this was a diy forum

surely any sort of help from professionals or amateurs is what its all about
lve been in the construction trade for 40 odd years l actually came on here as a goggle search because the last time l used chipboard flooring it was called v313 and green noo its called p4 or p5 and looks like it hasnt been treated just looking to learn what i didnt know update ma ignorance

knocking down ma sons house off wi the roof and attic trusses back on chap new kit and re-tile roof did founds ourselfs to save him some money wasnt to proud or shameful to ask some of ma mates how to watched it donefor years but never really pay attention so got some more learniing for me at 52
the more people you ask the more you learn
DSC03183.jpg

l think thats why we have forums lol

made windows and doors for a woman in st andrews she phoned me up to say the joiner said the door was hung round the wrong way
first thought for me was did l get it wrong right hand hung from inside
she put him on the phone and he said the "good side" is to the outside and l had hung the door inside out the beads should be to the inside?

l asked him to look at the windows and tell me what side the beads were on outside he said then asked him why he didnt know why
just the way he was taught west fife were taught it that way east fife wernt

no right or wrong just different way

the way l was taught if any water gets in the water runs back out the check the only time you do it the other way was for shop fronts so burglars couldnt take out the glass out from the outside

try explaining it to someone who thinks hes right!!

leaaarning never stops even for folk like me
ma old boss told me your only as good as your last job

people on forums take huffs and spit the dummy seen it lots of times
clash of egoes save face how dare he
does remind me of children
take deep breath an have a laugh go an have a cup o tea
does it really matter what a keyboard hero thinks
just post up help to folk that need it aint that what this ones all about

Djjeff99 asks a question which implies he may be doing things that are out of his depth.
Actually that wasn't my inference at all.

My position was that there's a difference between how, and to what extent, you would need to know the lighting levels typically used, or legally mandated, depending on the why.

For example, is it because you've been engaged commercially to design the lighting for a public car park, or because you want to get a feel for how brightly to light a path down your back garden, or because you live next to a car park whose lights are a nuisance to you and you want to find out facts to see if you may have grounds for a complaint, or because you have suffered a loss in a car park you consider too dimly lit, and ditto re complaint?

But since the OP decided to respond with hostility rather than simply reply to a simple, straightforward and civil question, then I repeat - as far as I'm concerned he can **** off and die.

ban was well within his rights to ask 'why do you want/need to know?'.

afterall this was an unusual topic, and the op gave so little information on the nature of the subject.
with ban's simple question we could have determined if op was a diy-er or professional or just a general pain in the rs who wants to complain about his local car-park and therefore give him the best suitable answer.
the op was vague and secretive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back