Lighting puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a new house with a light switch in the garage that had 7 (yes 7!!) cables going into a mental back box. An electrical tradesman owed me a favour and said he'd sort out the mess and break it into two plastic boxes for me.

Since he's done the job my outside lights stay on all the time and I have no way of switching them off.

I've taken it apart and labelled all the cores and produced a diagram. Please come someone help/suggest how it could be done neater and work out what they previous owners have done?

Thanks.

rkn04k.jpg

Sponsored Links
A photo would help

What is the switch on the left for? The outside lights?

You also appear to have two neutrals going to your outside light and no permanent live (if that is what is intended)

Left switch:

6en0oi.jpg

Right switch:

1zee0ix.jpg

The switch on the left I assume is something to do with the outside lights along with the double switch in the house. I assume this is for the outside lights too.

Does this help?

No wonder it's a mental back box with all that going on inside it...

If you can't turn off one of the lights where you could before, he has forked it up and by the look of the way he has (not) dressed those conductors and (not) sleeved the cpc's, he's not an electrician, either.

Ask for your money back.

Sponsored Links
Those cpc's are not joined, which is downright dangerous!

And there is no cpc in the adjacent pattress.

Looking at the diagram, either there are 2 N supplies to the O/S sensor or the N loop in the LH inside garage switch is actually SW/L.

Cable 3 makes no sense though....

Complete F up!! :eek:

In my defence there were no posts following the one with the photos when I started my reply.

I have no defence...

I have just repeated some of what Iggy said earlier!

:oops:

Totally agree guys. The cables are not dressed properly and the earths weren't sleeved. He's an electrician registered with NICEIC I'm afraid.

I'll dress the cables and do the earths but knowing what a mess he's made of it I'd rather not get him back to be honest, just won't use him again.

Back to the original problem, can anyone identify what's going on and how it's supposed to work? Also which cables go to my lights etc.

I know there's a lot to criticise here but thanks for any help and advice you can give on this.

Logic would suggest pulling the grey core from the outside lights out of the wago in the right hand box, and putting it into L1 1WAY in the left hand box.

Do you have two sets of outside lights? I'm confused by your textbox

"External outside lights" and "External motion sensor for outside lights"

Is there just one set of lights, with a PIR, that you can override with this switch?

To be honest, your diagram (or, if correct, the wiring) doesn't make sense.

I think it would be unwise to advise anything with all those wires.
Where is the other end of the grey wire which is connected to the block with the three blues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back