Lighting puzzle

In that case, if it is like this at the inside house switch

wamyoy.jpg

you must:

Move cable 3 blue to left switch L1
Move cable 3 brown to right switch com
Keep link from left com to right L2

Then inside garage switch reconnect (edit) cable 3 blue to N loop with blue and black.

Sponsored Links
Now - the left switches in garage and house will enable/disable the pir.

[It is unusual to have two-way switching on pirs so it will be difficult to remember if it is on or not.
When switched on (from off) pirs usually operate the light for the set time and then revert to sensor mode]

The right switch will turn the lights on permanently.

Right, done that.
What should that now give me?

The PIR should activate all lights.
The switches inside the house should now do what?

Thanks for this. Looks likes it's getting there!

Edit: Just read your post.The right switch inside the house will turn the lights on permanently.... so what will the left switch in the house do now?

Now - the left switches in garage and house will enable/disable the pir.

[It is unusual to have two-way switching on pirs so it will be difficult to remember if it is on or not.
When switched on (from off) pirs usually operate the light for the set time and then revert to sensor mode.]

Sponsored Links
Perfect! Thanks. I guess the reason they had the tape on the switch in the garage (to keep it switches) was for the reason you mentioned. This stops it being switched and therefore forgetting whether the PIR is switched on or off?

Thanks so much for your help! Really appreciate it. I'll tidy it all up now and dress the wires correctly so that it's all safe a neatly wired. I've bough some deep plastic back boxes too so there's enough room for all the cores to sit and not be under pressure and for the earths to connect together too.

Is it ok to sleeve earths individually by the way rather than together in one sleeve? What is the difference? Does it just help hold the cables together if you sleeve them together?

Thanks again for this.

Is it ok to sleeve earths individually by the way rather than together in one sleeve? What is the difference? Does it just help hold the cables together if you sleeve them together?
Separate sleeving is the proper/correct way to do it. Apart from anything else, it's essentially impossible to get the bare copper covered all the way back to the sheaths of multiple cables if they are together in one sleeve.

Kind Regards, John

That's good. :)

So, it turns out that it was just the house switch that was wired wrongly (I think).
As Bas says it would be good if you could understand how it works but it did look a bit of a mess while not knowing what it was supposed to be doing.

If in doubt; start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back