Lighting

The ambiguity between black being neutral, but live in the context of the switched live wiring was what we found confusing.
Black is black is black - it is not necessarily neutral. In fact now it's a phase colour.

And the reason you found it confusing was that for some God-only-knows-what reason you thought it would be OK to embark on work, fully aware that you knew nothing, without taking the trouble to learn even the most incredibly basic things beforehand.

The only problem we encountered was wiring the 3 red wires into separate terminals in the block.
A mistake which beggars belief.

A mistake which shows that you have not the tiniest inkling of how electrical circuits work.

What your issue is, God only knows!? If you're so grumpy, miserable and patronising that you find it appropriate to speak to people in the manner you do I suggest you do it outside a pub in Newcastle at kicking out time wearing a 'I HATE Shearer' t-shirt. It's very easy being brave through a keyboard isn't it?
Good night x
And you still don't begin to grasp how wrong you were to even pick up a screwdriver, do you.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

Sponsored Links
I have to admit I have never done anything with electrics before. When I purchased my light the instructions made it seem simple to do. Once I started it was more complicated then I thought so I did get information on how to do it properly. Instructions are not always that clear and sometimes it is good to get advice from others, which is what I thought this site was for?!!? You can only learn from your mistakes.

Do you really have nothing better to do at 11pm on a Sun eve then have a go at others???

I have to admit I have never done anything with electrics before.
And as I keep pointing out, given that situation you were very foolish to decide you could just do it without taking the trouble to learn first.

When I purchased my light the instructions made it seem simple to do. Once I started it was more complicated then I thought so I did get information on how to do it properly.
Yes - after you'd messed it up.

After you'd made a mistake which shows that you don't even understand what a piece of wire does.

After you'd made a mistake which shows that you didn't think to study, or make a note of, how the wires were connected before you removed the old light.

After you'd made a mistake which shows that you didn't understand or follow the diagrams or information you must have been looking at to find out about permanent and switched lives.

Instructions are not always that clear
Not even the part which said "If in doubt consult a qualified electrician"?

and sometimes it is good to get advice from others, which is what I thought this site was for?!!?
Yes it is.

But to repeat ColJack's analogy, if you changed the brakes on your car, got it completely wrong because you didn't have a clue how to do it right, knew you didn't have clue but went ahead anyway, crashed the car because you got it wrong, and then posted on a car mechanics forum asking what you did wrong, do you think everyone there would agree that you'd gone about it the right way?

You can only learn from your mistakes.
You can die from trying to learn about electrics by making mistakes.

Do you really have nothing better to do at 11pm on a Sun eve then have a go at others???
Always willing to help.

That's not complicated - it's perfectly normal and probably by far and away the most common system used in houses in this country.
That was completely true - it is the most commonly found system, and that is something you need to know because you'll be encountering it for the rest of your life.

If you found it complicated you should have studied it more until it became blindingly obvious and simple.
That was good advice because you really should not attempt electrical installation work on the basis of blundering about hoping you get it right.

Each wire had a live (red), Earth (Yellow&green) and neutral (Black).
No it didn't.
That was good information because it's something you must take on board. Terrible things can happen if you assume that a conductor has a particular function just because of the colour of its sleeving.

I found out which of the neutrals was the switch wire
A switched live is NOT a neutral.
Ditto.

Do you have a multimeter?
That was a valid question at the time I wrote it because when I wrote it you hadn't posted the snippet about how you'd decided to remove all the continuity between the live conductors in your lighting circuit.

What made you think it was OK for you to do electrical work when you must realise that you know absolutely nothing?
That was a valid question, because you do need to re-evaluate your attitude to doing things in which you know you have no competency.

And that was helpful because it pointed you at information you need.

What's really going on here is that you know full well you behaved like an utter fool by attempting something which you knew was completely beyond you and which you couldn't be bothered to find out about first, but you think that you should be immune from any criticism.

Next time it might not be a few lights stopping working - next time it might be your house burning down, or someone dying from electric shock.

Yes I was stupid to think I could do it without never doing it before. As soon as I took the old light fitting off I realised I did not know what I was doing. The instructions with the light does make it sound simple to do when it's not. As soon as I took the old light off I got information on how to do it properly.

What I don't understand is why you think you have any right to lecture others, you really do have nothing better to do then spend your time on here. Do you have no JOB or LIFE!?!?!

And in reference to the wires whilst I was explaining how I wired it, I was simply trying to explain what I had done by describing them that wasn't the point I was trying to get across!!!

Sponsored Links
As soon as I took the old light off I got information on how to do it properly.

obviously not true at all..

you went ahead anyway, then found out that you're other lights in the flat don't work.. THEN came here to ask what you did wrong, not what you should do in the first place.

BAS and the rest us pro's on here feel we have the right to lecture anyone that is doing things in a half assed way because electricity is by far more dangerous to you than gas or water is, and you need a registered gas fitter to do any gas in your house but any idiot with a screwdriver can start messing with electrics..
you can't see, smell or hear electric but it bites a lot harder than gas ever does...

Once again....disgusted at the way people are treated sometimes on here....ok the OP was out of their depth.....and should have been told / advised about that fact....BUT........

YES ......... LETS BULLY THE F**K OUT OF THEM.

:rolleyes:

cock.jpg

Usually if im removing a light fitting i mark the cables up as they come out using cable tie/tape/choc block so i know which are to where.

There are many ways to wire lights but two are the most common - loop in where the supply wires are looped through the light fittings and a single wire is taken to the switches. The other is where the supply is taken direct to the switch and from there to the lights. If you look at your switch and there is only a single wire, then it's a loop in. If there are two wires with the neutrals and earths connected together but the lives going to the switch then you have probably got the second. The original circuit would have all the neutrals connected together into the fitting neutral, all the earths together and all the lives connected together into the live fitting, with the other wires going to the other lights. In order to check this, however, you will need a meter and the ability to use it safely. It's worth considering if your safety is worth less than the cost of an electrician for an hour.

Cheers
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back