Lights tripping

Sponsored Links
The far left 6A feeds the lights and the 63A is 4th one in and feeds all 5 MCBS
20231007_124539.jpg

One of your outside lights or junction boxes has got water in it. This may for example be conducting current from live to earth in the outside cabling, and this causes an imbalance in your RCD which trips it. It is not the 63A max rating that matters, but the between 15 to 30mA leakage to earth.

One of your outside lights or junction boxes has got water in it. This may for example be conducting current from live to earth in the outside cabling, and this causes an imbalance in your RCD which trips it. It is not the 63A max rating that matters, but the between 15 to 30mA leakage to earth.
Yes, most likely, it's very common.

The 6A is not an RCD so it does not trip due to earth leakage

It is best to have a DP switch fitted indoors for outside lighting, so it can be isolated when this fault occurs.

Sponsored Links
Hmm..looked at all the junction boxes .theyre IP65 further protected by pvc sheeting..both bone dry..tomorrow I'll start disconnecting the lights one by one

Hmm..looked at all the junction boxes .theyre IP65 further protected by pvc sheeting..both bone dry..tomorrow I'll start disconnecting the lights one by one

How have you diagnosed that it is the outside lights causing the RCD to trip? Might it be one of the other 4x circuits fed via the RCD, causing the trip, don't you think?

Are the bulbs in the outside lights LED ?

A failed LED bulb can introduce problems, even dead shorts. Even seen this with a halogen.

So remove the bulbs before you waste more time

It is best to have a DP switch fitted indoors for outside lighting, so it can be isolated when this fault occurs.

If you do it now, it might save you time and inconvenience.

By golly I've fixed it..in the process of if disconnecting the first light I noticed a loose neutral in the second one..tightened it up and hey presto.thanks for all your help

Attachments

• 20231008_110612.jpg
    20231008_110612.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 37

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back