Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the old problem of an old property built with metal or wooden windows, want to upgrade to uPVC, no lintles... etc. Maximum span is under 2m.

I've seen the solution of angle iron (about 75x75x10mm) being used to support the brickwork as a lintel (primed and painted or hot dip galvanised to prevent rusting). Would this pass a BCO visit?

The other option I've seen are these: http://www.buildingsteel.co.uk/lintel_la.htm. They look more of an 'official' solution for supporting a single skin.

Which would be the prefered method? And how would you go about supporting the wall while fitting it?

Is a cavity tray needed with either of these solutions?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A 3x3 angle might be too small; 4x4 would give better bearing for the brickwork.
You would need a cavity tray with either of the methods you suggested.

I can source any sized angle I need, so a 4 by 4 wouldn't be a problem.

How would the cavity tray be fitted to the internal skin of the house? dig out mortar and bed it (presubably) between the internal lintel the bricks above it?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back