Live electric/water supply left by original builder

S

SJC-London

My house is approximately 5 years old and we are having a side extension built. Unfortunately, we have found numerous services in the location where the extension is to go - two water, three electricity and one data. All of these run pass the house and are not supplying my house.

Through contact with the original builder (not my current builder!) I have established that when the estate was built, there was a sales office partly under my house and the site canteen/management block behind it. Thus, it seems that one electricity/water/data combination went to the sales office and one electricity/water combination went to the canteen/management block. The final electricity seems to be historic and serving an old building on the site.

My issue is that all the electricity cables and water pipes are still live, despite no longer serving anything. My expectation is that these services should be terminated at the road and not left live under my property. Is my expectation reasonable?

Can anyone comment on whether there are any building regulations, standards, codes of conduct, liability etc. as to how a builder is supposed to deal with supplies to site buildings once the estate construction has finished? Or to buildings that they demolish?

Could the original builder be liable for not terminating these services correctly at the road? Or for not informing me of their existence?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
We haven't found the termination - they run through my land from front to back for over 10m.

Sponsored Links
Isn't it likely they are connected to your meter?
Do you have any mysterious outputs from it?

I haven't yet established if the water is connected to my meter - the maps are incomplete apparently. Pretty sure the electricity is not connected to my meter.

The main thing I'm trying to establish is whether the original builder or utility company failed to act correctly by not terminating them at the road. ie. is somebody liable for this mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back