locating cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think that even the simplest DIY jobs are beyond me. I'm trying to put some track shelving up on a wall, and used one of those cheapy cable locators to see if there were any electric wires or metal behind where I wanted to drill. Found what I thought were the safe places to drill & put the top row of holes in the wall in just fine. Then went to just double check the precise places I was going to put all the lower holes and now one whole section of wall is doing the little electric cable beeps where it made no sound at all earlier. As I haven't actually been fried, I'm guessing I haven't drilled through something electrical, but being clueless, I was hoping you guys could give some advice. Is it just that those little £10 locators are utter crap and it's having a spasm? Or have I really done something drastic? I'm not sure it's wise to keep drilling, even though I doubt there are any cables behind that part of the wall. Got any advice? I'd be grateful if anybody could help.

Cheers,
Kate

Sponsored Links
Hi Kate

Wise move not to continue drilling.

With all detectors you need to check it's working properly on a known cable.

To do this place your detector just above a downstairs socket and sweep it horizontally to and fro until it bleeps as there should be a cable running vertically from the socket up to the ceiling.

Cables normally run vertically for sockets but can sometimes run horizontally between sockets. But it is not unknown to find cables running diagonally between switches and sockets.

Are there any sockets or switches in the vicinity of where you are drilling?

If you have drilled through cable, you did not get a shock,probably because your drill is insulated & you were not earthed anywhere. What is the likelyhood of cables being there? Are there any swiches or sockets in the vicinity, above or below where you are drilling? Are you near a corner?Does your consumer unit have mcbs & an rcd? The only real way of knowing is to have the wiring tested properly or knock a chunk of plaster off & physically see if there is a damaged cable(last resort i would have thought)

Where abouts are you intending to put the shelves ?
If it is in a bedroom then the only wiring you are likely to meet in a wall would be going to the light switches.
If it is in the lounge then there could be wiring going inside the wall to the sockets. These should be vertical so check to see if you are directly above a socket. Unless of course there are wall lights, but the same applies.
It seems we all have these detectors, I got rid of my cheapie for a more expensive one but that was no better. Sometimes they pick up nails in the battens, so generally it comes down to a bit of common sense. Just go carefully and you should be alright. If you are using a portable drill you could always switch off the electrics before you drill.
Best of luck

Sponsored Links
Rutland,
in a bedroom then the only wiring you are likely to meet in a wall would be going to the light switches.

how can you give this advice? You do not know the construction of the building. It may be a bungalow with concrete floor. In that case she may encounter ring final circuits coming down from the ceiling in addition to the lighting.

TTC

Thanks for the advice, everyone. There's one electric socket in a corner at the bottom of the wall I'm drilling, and definitely a cable running vertically above it, so I'm avoiding that area. Apart from that there's nothing else even close - no lights, switches, or anything like that. I'm putting the shelves in an alcove of the lounge, between the front wall of the house & the chimney brest. We just tried the locator thing again, and now it shows nothing at all. I'm starting to think it's just unreliable. In all my searching for info I read that if there's a conductor with dodgy insulation touching a damp wall close by, you can get a false reading because the locators are so sensitive. Not that I want a damp wall or anything poorly insulated touching it either, but that'd be better than drilling a big hole in the middle of an electric cable today ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back