Locator neon for two-way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The switches for the two-way lighting in my carport are fitted with locator neons across COM and L1. The paperwork warns that the neons will only illuminate with the switches in one position when wired for two-way lighting, i.e. not in both switch positions when the lights are off and this is the case. Is there a means of remedying this?

The switches are wired in conduit using the 'cable saving' circuit; thus: http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/2-way-lighting-circuit-diagram/

TIA

Richard

Sponsored Links
If it's all in conduit, can you run a neutral wire to each switch?

And then connect the locator neon across perm live and neutral?

This way the locator neon will be lit at all times.

The switches for the two-way lighting in my carport are fitted with locator neons across COM and L1. The paperwork warns that the neons will only illuminate with the switches in one position when wired for two-way lighting, i.e. not in both switch positions when the lights are off and this is the case. Is there a means of remedying this? ... The switches are wired in conduit using the 'cable saving' circuit; thus: http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/2-way-lighting-circuit-diagram/[/QUOTE]Not that I can think of. With that wiring method, with one position of the 'other' switch, L1 at one switch will not be connected to anything - so there is no way that a neon between L1 and COM could then light up - and I can think of nothing else you could do that would make it work as you would like. However, others may have some clever ideas!

Kind Regards, John

If it's all in conduit, can you run a neutral wire to each switch? ... And then connect the locator neon across perm live and neutral? ... This way the locator neon will be lit at all times.
I think the problem with that is that, with the wiring method the OP has, there is only a permanent live at one of the switches, isn't there? I think he'd have to re-wire more extensively for an approach like that to work.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
At each switch connect the neon between L1 and L2.

The neutral comes via the lamp so the neons will not light if there is no lamp in the fitting. Also some energy efficient lamps may not pass enough "neutral" to allow the neons to light.

If it's all in conduit, can you run a neutral wire to each switch? ... And then connect the locator neon across perm live and neutral? ... This way the locator neon will be lit at all times.
I think the problem with that is that, with the wiring method the OP has, there is only a permanent live at one of the switches, isn't there? I think he'd have to re-wire more extensively for an approach like that to work.

Kind Regards, John

Damn.

:oops:

I knew that as well, and still forgot there isn't a perm live at one of the switches.

As I wrote, with the 'old fashioned' wiring method the OP appears to have, depending on the position of the other switch, either L1 or L2 at one switch will 'go nowhere'. Neons connected between L1 and L2 will therefore surely not work at either switch, will they?

Kind Regards, John

As I wrote, with the 'old fashioned' wiring method the OP appears to have, depending on the position of the other switch, either L1 or L2 at one switch will 'go nowhere'. Neons connected between L1 and L2 will therefore surely not work at either switch, will they?

Kind Regards, John

Having drawn this out, I think this would work (when the main lamp is off).

Draw it out and see what you think.

I have illuminated switches in a dual setup and they light no matter what position they are in, as long as the light is off.

Thanks All, I'll have a play with relocating the neon connections.

I appreciate that the wiring method is 'old fashioned' for the reasons mentioned in the link that I posted but am happy to use it as the installation is only my carport lights, i.e. there is a single live + neutral source and no risk of multiple live and neutral sources.

Alternatively, I don't have a problem with the neons being illuminated permanently and having to pull extra cables to achieve that.

Ta

Richard

I have illuminated switches in a dual setup and they light no matter what position they are in, as long as the light is off.

Hi Mattylad, what circuit are you using to achieve that?

Rgds

Richard

Which ever way it's wired thus is still correct

The neutral comes via the lamp so the neons will not light if there is no lamp in the fitting. Also some energy efficient lamps may not pass enough "neutral" to allow the neons to light.

Which ever way it's wired thus is still correct

Will try this tomorrow and report back.

Richard

Having drawn this out, I think this would work (when the main lamp is off). Draw it out and see what you think.
I don't really need to draw it out. As I said, with the 'old' wiring method, either L1 or L2 at a switch will be connected to 'nothing' (just the corresponding terminal at the other switch, which will not be connected to anything). A neon between L1 and L2 therefore cannot possibly work, can it (given that one or other end of the neon will then always be connected to 'nothing')?

Kind Regards, John

Will try this tomorrow and report back.
I would suggest that you keep an eye on subsequent posts before you try it - as I've been saying, I really can't see that it could possibly work - since only one end of a neon would then ever be connected to 'anything'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back